[3830] CQWW CW AA4V SOAB(A) HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 29 18:19:08 PST 2009

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: AA4V
Operator(s): AA4V
Station: AA4V

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: SC

  160:   49    10       31
   80:   63    11       32
   40:  101    14       61
   20:  289    24       71
   15:  176    24       88
   10:    8     6        8

Club: Carolina DX Association

Comments:

As usual, the Thanksgiving holiday proved to be a great distraction again this
year. We had a houseful of relatives who LOVE to come to the beach for the
holiday.

After operating in the CQ WW Phone from AA4V/VP9 with low power, it was a
pleasure to be back home with the Alpha 87A humming away. I operated a total of
10 hours, spending 2 hours on the first night (on 160 and 80). Saturday morning
was spent on 15 and 20. I operated a bit on Sunday morning on 15, 20 and
10(conditions were down from Saturday). On Sunday afternoon at 3 PM, I looked
on 40M (my first look at that band all week-end) and band was full of DX 2.5
hours before sunset. I stayed on for 2 hours on 40 and had a ball.

Overall, I thought conditions were quite good. The Elecraft K3 again worked
flawlessly (as it did in VP9). The bands were packed with signals but I was
always able to find a clear spot with the K3. Moving up and down the band using
the 400 hz roofing filter was a real pleasure.

The antennas also worked well. The Titanex V80 mounted on the end of a 150 foot
long pier over the saltwater really played on 160 and 80 (along with pennant
receiving antennas). The 40 meter vertical is mounted on a steel pipe in the
water with 10 radials spread out in the waterway. I used a SteppIR 3 el yagi at
60 feet for 20-10. Changing direction electrically with the Stepper was a real
plus and easy on the rotor. Kudos to all the operators...great skill and great
ears.

See you in January for the CQ WW 160 from SC and in February for the ARRL DX CW
from KH6/AA4V. I'll be operating again from Kona on the big island but from a
location right on the ocean front with plenty of room for antennas.