[3830] CQWW CW FO8RZ SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 29 18:33:24 PST 2009

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: FO8RZ
Operator(s): FO8RZ
Station: FO8RZ

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: TAHITI

  160:    2     2        2
   80:   76     8        8
   40:  318    26       40
   20:  456    30       48
   15: 1281    25       52
   10:   71    13       17

Hello dear contesters

I am still nervous by this contest, so impossible to sleep ! Drink too much
coffee)

My first CQ WW DX CW contest single op from a dx location.

My goal was to make the maximum of QSO, but I did not know how many because
when you are on the other side (on the DX), it is not the same thing.
So I did not know if I will be able to work pilup during all the time with
quality.

Few hours before, I was asking myself about single op assisted or not !
The "royal" category is without cluster and, in assisted, there is no low power
! Yes, I am not a big gun, I am a "low gun"  ! So I choose single op all bands
lp.

Since july I was very active in order to learn how is the propagation in south
Pacific. Windows to contact Europe are very small when you are a "low gun" !
Hi
But I need the european multiplier in order to have a good score. easy to say
it, no to do it !

One thing I remarked one more time ! If you have a dx call, it is very nice !
But it is very nice if your sigs are very loud, or if your location is close to
USA or Europe (but on different continent to get 3 points ...).
If not, you depend on the spots on the cluster. If someone spots you, it is OK,
but if nobody spots you, you still call CQ TEST for nothing and nobody or few
stations answer your CQ. Like in SSB, I have been a lot of time calling CQ and
nobody replied to me. When you are spotted, it is the pilup, and you have to
work quicly because if you work slowly, they go away ! It is a hard life, but I
love it ! So MANY THANKS to all stations who had spotted me on cluster !
This time, I did not ask them to do it ! I made this fatal error in the SSB
part and I will send my SSB log only for checklog.

This is my impression by bands :

160 : Too poor I am ! Only HF6V and few radials. I just have KH6 and FO/N6JA
(Tnx for all QSY). I would like to have ZL/VK but I did not hear them when I
was on 160.
One STUPID thing here is the band plan ! Nothing below 1830 ! I heard this
morning a lot of JA stations below 1825. Impossible to them with this band
plan. Next time, I will send a mail on top band reflector in order to tell them
that I will work with QSX.

80 : Also poor but ... I installed my 80-40 dipole 10 days before the contest
on his new emplacement. Before, it was impossible to work on 80. It is now
between the beam (6 meters up) and two trees. I have no such place to install
it between the two trees.
I just tested it one evening and had a good JA pilup, not a big one, but a
good, so I saw that it was not as good as I wanted.
So I decided to go on 80. I sent CQ CQ until one of you would like to spot me
on cluster. 15 minutes after my first CQ on 80, it was a really big pilup !
Was very happy to be heard in W3 coast. A good memory for me.
Impossible to do it during the second night. Sigs were poor like on 40, so I
decided to go sleeping. It was really better at the sunrise, but I woke up too
late !

40 :
My favorite band, because 40 gives you always somme very good surprises !
I was working with my 80-40 dipole.
I heard at my sunset EU stations with very nice sigs ! Really impressed about
EA8/EA/CT/CN sigs on 40 ! But I remembered that 40 is very noisy in EU, so it
was very hard to be heard in EU with my poor sigs. Some stations have really
good reception like AM5M, other don't have (I don't give the calls ... hi)
40 was veri nice during the first night and awfull during the second one.

20: 3 elements yagi up 7 meters
No surprise on 20. A little sad because I did not succeed in working UA and est
EU stations on my sunset. The window was closed !
Did not work a lot of UA9 stations too.
I would like to work more on 20, but it was bad during the day. It was only
good at the beginning and at the end of the day for me. I was too far from JA
and USA during the day.

15 : 3 elements yagi up 7 meters
15 was opened ! Good ! I pray to have it opened during all the contest because
I saw the solar indice who went lower.
It was the BAND for me ! I worked all USA during the day ! Tnx to this band who
did 80% of my results.
A little disapointed, because I did not hear west Africa and Europe on 15 !
I really appreciated to have EU multis.

10 : 3 elements yagi up 7 meters
Poor, not completely but poor ! At the end of the contest I succeed in working
Z4 and Z5. I heard JA stations but I never be spotten so impossible to work a
lot JA stations on 10.

Conclusion :

First day was very good with good openings on low bands. Second one was more
poor and awfull on low bands for me. conditions were good after but I woke up
too late.
Very happy for this contest ! Really impressed by stations who make 4000 QSO
with LP ! How they can do it ?

Thanks to all who called me.

I have one year to have a better installation or may be to go on other place.
I will install an inverted L for 160 soon.

Online-log and Lotw will be upload very soon.
Online-log is here : http://f5phw.chez.com/index.php?lng=en

QSL are OK via F8BPN, please read instructions on QRZ.COM/FO8RZ before sending
your QSL directly.

Don't be sad if you didn't work me on low bands, there will be a dxpedition in
FO especially for low bands in february with F6BEE, G3TXF, VE2TZT and me !
Have a look here : http://www.fo2010.org/

It was a very nice week end ! Thanks to all !
See you next year in WW DX CW TEST or earlier for DX activities.

I will work now especially on WARC bands.

All the best 73 and sorry for my poor english.

FO8RZ Phil

ps: Funny remark : How do you know if are spotted when you are a DX and when
you began to work on a new band ?

Very simple !

30 seconds after the spot, you work KC1XX, K3LR and W3LPL in one minute ! lol