[3830] CQWW CW K2DBK SOAB(A) LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 29 21:09:26 PST 2009

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K2DBK
Operator(s): K2DBK
Station: K2DBK

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: FN21
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:   17     6       11
   40:  145    20       66
   20:  119    21       51
   15:   47    16       33
   10:    5     4        4

This was the first time I've ever spent more than a couple of hours in the CW
version of this contest and I found that I had a surprisingly good time. With
just 100w into a G5RV, it's tough to bust any serious pileups, but there are an
awful lot of talented ops out there with really good ears. I was surprised at
the number of relatively rare DX stations that I was able to work after just a
few minutes (or less) of calling (A2,9J,9L, C4). Some of the calls were a real
challenge to pull out, but I remember thinking when I worked EE5I that it
sounded like someone had dropped a paddle down a couple of stairs.

Due to "life outside of ham radio", I don't even attempt to put in a full 48
hour effort (I think I was "active" for 16 hours, I still need to check that),
but I was very pleased with my score just the same. I'd like to have had the
last couple of hours in particular as 40m was doing really well for me. It
looks like I worked a total of 84 distinct countries, which is pretty amazing
given the lack of sunspots.

As others have noted, Sunday on 15 was nice and quiet, but I found that I could
do better on 20 then move down to 40 and still keep making contacts.

Thanks to all the ops for listening hard for my peanut whistle signal,
especially a couple of the big guns who really worked hard to pull me out to
the point of sending "ONLY THE K2D STATION" when others got a little impatient.
Things like that really make it worthwhile.

73,
  David, K2DBK