[3830] CQWW CW G4ERW SOSB/80 LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 30 14:28:58 PST 2009

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: G4ERW
Operator(s): G4ERW
Station: G4ERW

Class: SOSB/80 LP
QTH: Ashford, Kent
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:  581    13       67

A semi serious 80m single band low power effort with particular interest in
evaluating for the first time an 80m elevated ground plane with 12m vertical
section and 8m horizontal wire (ie Inverted L). Elevated radials at 7m. Also
used 80m Inverted-V dipole apex at 20m. Performance was not as hoped or
expected - possibly due to interaction between the two antennas which I could
only separate by 20m. Could also have benefited from a directional receiving
antenna (ie K9AY) but not really the space for this too!

Disappointed with results. Only about 30 North American stations worked and
even the 'big boys' (K3LR, K1TTT etc) were not as strong as I would have
expected. Either conditions were poor or the antennas really were bad!
Switching between the dipole and the vertical did not make much difference on
DX although generally slightly stronger on the vertical. Could not operate for
all of the time that the band was open (ie evenings, nights and early mornings)
so maybe missed some good openings! The TS850 (with INRAD roofing filter) packed
up on receive early Sunday morning and had to revert to FT900 - the difference
was noticeable. Despite the disappointments it was an enjoyable weekend of
radio.