[3830] NCCC Sprint K4BAI LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Fri Oct 2 05:13:50 PDT 2009

                    NCCC Sprint - October 2

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA

  160:   0      0
   80:  18     13
   40:  22     13
   20:   0      0
Total:  40     26  Total Score = 1,040

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

FT1000MP, 100W, dipole, inverted vee.  No signals heard on 20M.  40M seemed
pretty good, but signals were weaker than usual.  Could hear and work N4AF and
K0MPH/4 in NC easily, but no signals from N1LN also in NC.  Worked K1GU in TN
on ground wave, I guess.  Lot of repeats needed.  Best signals on 40 were from
K8MM, K3TN, N3DXX, W0BH and N3ZZ (CA).  K6VVA/M was as loud as most of the west
coast fixed stations.  80M was very noisy.  Used the lower noise receive antenna
for the whole period.  I guess a lot of people went to 160 at the end because I
made no QSOs in the last two minutes.  I didn't try 160 tonight because the
noise was so high on 80, but I know that sometimes the noise is lower on 160
than on 80.  Have to use the same antenna on both bands and that requires
disconnecting the coax and connecting a wire to it with alligator clips, so I
am reluctant to take the time to do that.  If I can get my antenna tuner
repaired or buy a new one, I should be able to change bands from 80 to 160
quickly by using the zepp on 80.  Hope everyone has fun in the CQP this
weekend.  In the Thursday night CQP practice, I had QSOs with CA on 20, 40, and
80 CW.  8 QSOs in four counties for a scoe of 96.  No CA stations heard on SSB.
Maybe there will be more CA stations in tonight's practice.  73, John, K4BAI.