[3830] Oceania CW ZL1AZE SOSB/80 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Oct 11 14:50:44 PDT 2009

                    Oceania DX Contest, CW

Call: ZL1AZE
Operator(s): ZL1AZE
Station: ZL1AZE

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: ZL

   80:  328   189
Total:  328   189  Total Score = 619,920

Club: Wellington Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

80M propagation seemed reasonable with some loud signals from America, Asia and
Europe. I noted that RK3ER and RX4HZ were still very audible with S7 signals
one hour after our sunrise on the Sunday morning. I was also pleasantly
surprised to work some Central EU stations (including E74AW, S51NZ and 9A4W)
via the long path at around 0600z.

The atmospheric noise was also low, and well below the level of the local man
made noise floor which stayed at around S7 (in a 500 Hz bandwidth) for much of
the contest.  This high level of local noise meant that I was unable to copy
many of the weaker stations that were calling.

I used an FT1000MP MkV Field radio with an AL80A amplifier. Unfortunately the
amplifier developed an intermittent fault during the contest which resulted in
the output power varying randomly between about 100W and 400W over time. I
expect this would have sounded like QSB at the receiving end!

The antenna was an inverted vee dipole with the center supported at 13 metres
above ground. However, my QTH is located on a steep hill side about 100 metres
above sea level, so the effective height is much greater in the down hill
direction (towards NA, SA and the EU long path).

I was hoping to beat the record 80M CW score of 1,078,470 set by VK9CNC in 2008
but my final claimed score of 619,920 is well short of this target. I expect
that a quieter QTH, along with a better antenna and takeoff in the EU short
path direction, will be required to seriously challenge the VK9CNC score.

Anyhow, it was a lot of fun, and thanks to everyone for the QSOs. I do
apologise to those stations that I could not copy due to the high level of
local noise.

I look forward to being back and working you all again in the contest next
year.

73, Brian ZL1AZE