[3830] JARTS VA7ST Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Oct 18 21:53:23 PDT 2009

                    JARTS WW RTTY Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: BC

   80:   34    71    12
   40:  173   394    47
   20:  424  1095    76
   15:   58   128    22
   10:
-------------------------
Total:  689  1688   158  Total Score = 266,704

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

* FT-2000 and SB221
* N1MM Logger + MMTTY
* Steppir 3-ele. @ 45'
* 40M Steppir dipole at 45'
* 80M 2-el. AS/NA vertical array, elevated

2009 SFI = 70 | A=2  | K=0
2008 SFI = 70 | A=4  | K=1

Whew. 21:38 hours wiped me out. Mostly because 80M was such hard work with very
poor results -- much worse than last year for some reason. Spent several more
hours there than in previous years, so lost some sleep fooling myself thinking
80M would come to life at some point.

Must give credit to 80M on Sunday morning as a few JA signals were something to
behold -- down in the traditional 3.520-530 slot, but also up in the new Asian
regional RTTY assignment, from 3.599 to 3.612. Yes, that leaves 1 khz of
overlap between the JA and US/VE band plans for RTTY, and I heard two JAs
taking advantage of it. JA1OVD was S9 here, and JS3CTQ was almost that strong
(they were neatly tucked into the 3.599 - 3.600 slot). As Don AA5AU noted on
the DX cluster: "Cool!"

Still ended up working slightly fewer hours than last year, but with
substantial improvement in band totals on all but 80M and 15M, for a personal
best in JARTS.

Highlights of this year were calls from TR8CA, ZS2EZ, and FR5MV on 20M, all
very big sigs. These made my weekend. And then there was YB8EL and FO8RZ on
40M, and a total of 22 countries on 40M (which is up from 7 last year, and 8
the year before). Was a pleasure to work so many familiar calls, a surprising
number of YL ops. Just two VK call areas, both on 40M thanks to VK7AD and
VK3TDX, both with good signals.

Enjoyed a whole bunch of VE7 contacts. At one point on Saturday evening on 40M
VA7CPC, VE7UQ, VE7BSM, then VA7HZ called in a row, then VE7KS and VE7CC right
after that (6 of 16 Qs from B.C.)

15M was wide open across NA on Sunday, but just not a lot of RTTY stations to
work. I know a huge number of stations were on 15M because I had to work pretty
damn hard to get through the pileup for K4M on CW and SSB during a brief break
from the contest on Sunday.

Other than 80M, this was a Steppir-enabled contest. For RTTY (wedged between CW
and Phone), the 3-element plus 40M dipole simply works better than the previous
trapped tribander. And it got me onto 17M and 30M for K4M Qs.

A few year-over-year comparisons...

        Band    QSOs    Pts   Cty   Sec
2009     80M      34      71    0   12
2008              96     195    2   14
2007              66     132    1   14

2009     40M     173     394   22   25
2008             139     296    7   21
2007             128     266    8   18

2009     20M     424    1095   51   26
2008             350     887   49   26
2007             316     811   50   23

2009     15M      58     128    4   18
2008              90     193    9   14
2007               3       6    0    3

2009   Total     689    1688   77   81   266,704
2008             675    1571   67   75   223,082
2007             513    1215   59   58   142,155
                ----   -----  ---  ---  --------
08 > 09 Change  + 14   + 117  +10  + 6  + 43,622
07 > 08 Change  +162   + 356  + 8  +17  + 80,927
Two-yr. Change  +176   + 473  +18  +23  +125,549

Year    QSOs   Pts.   Mults    Score
-------------------------------------
2009    689   1688      158   266,704 (HP)
2008    675   1571      142   223,082 (HP)
2007    513   1215      117   142,155 (HP)
2006    412    920      103    94,760
2005    673   1578      154   243,012
2004    586   1428      156   222,768
2003    114     --       46    12,926
2002    321    785      119    93,415

I suppose the Stew Perry warmup drew away plenty of low-banders Saturday night.
Still a mystery about what happened to 80M on Friday night, but I don't see many
posts showing great 80M outings from the West coast. Here's how I handled
things:

With 80M not well attended, I spent a couple hours Friday night trying to
figure out why I had just 5 Qs in the same couple of hours that netted nearly
50 last year. After a rain-soaked trek through the woods inspecting the
vertical array with a flashlight, I concluded the verticals were fine.

Unwilling to believe the band was honestly empty, I then blatantly accused the
Beverage of being shot. Surely, I said to myself, great heaps of stations were
out there, but the noise on the verticals was rather high to the east, and the
Beverage is the answer for that. It wasn't hearing much noise (which is normal)
or stations (less normal), so I started messing about with it.

As often happens with such messing about with antennas in the middle of the
night, the contraption got royally stuffed the moment I began fiddling with it.
Having suspected a PL259 was intermittently wonky, I chopped off the connector
and tried crimping on a new one and botched that due to sleepiness. Rather than
try that again, I surrendered and swapped in a whole different cable run from a
handy supply I keep nearby: some old RG-8 I should have thrown away but which
"oughta be fine for a Beverage feedline"(tm).

Ran inside to find precisely the same receive situation: nobody to be heard.
Darn original cable had not been the problem to begin with. Off to 40M I went
for the remainder of that session. Not wanting a repeat night of nothing worked
on 80M, on Saturday afternoon I moved to the next obviously guilty party. I
found a surplus ferrite core in the junk box and wound a new transformer and
installed it at the feedpoint. Fortunately, there were a few more stations on
that night. Alas, I think I spent several hours in the rain brilliantly fixing
a problem that wasn't there. Lesson: sometimes the band really is that bad.

Now to rest up for CQWW SSB. Fingers crossed for great conditions. Thanks for
the contacts and to JARTS for letting us all play.

-- Bud VA7ST