[3830] CQWW SSB FO8RZ SOSB/15 LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Oct 26 00:11:55 PDT 2009

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: FO8RZ
Operator(s): FO8RZ
Station: FO8RZ

Class: SOSB/15 LP
QTH: TAHITI
Operating Time (hrs):

   15: 1189    28       57
Total: 1189    28       57  Total Score = 294,695

Hi everybody !

1/ We lost this past week 4 friends ! I don't know how to tell it in english,
but all my thought to their families.

2/A special thanks to my wife who let me one more time doing what I love :
contesting !

3/Impressions:
I did not want to make this contest in all bands because I know that it will be
very difficult on low bands with my poor 100 watts and inverted Vee for 40-80.
SSB is not my prefered mode, but when you are in FO, you like it !

The morning just before the contest, I was still asking myself on wich band
doing the contest : 20 15 or 10 ??? 3 hours before starting, I made a little
"warm up" on 15 SSB. Ok I will work on 15, and on the other bands in order to
see how is the propagation during a big contest.

I started 15 minutes 00h00 on 15 with a very big pilup and I was very happy to
get one like this. It announced a good contest. But arround 00h15, it was not
the same thing. Few QSO, only 1 or 2 QSO per minutes. I understood at this
moment that my signal was not very high. French Polynesia is far from
everywhere in south Pacific. Like A31KK said, south Pacific is not in the good
direction. It is very very hard to break a pilup from here. It is very very
easy to be disturbed by another station who stole your frequency !! That's the
contest life !! Hi
So when you can't break the pilup, you have to run. Easy to say, not to do it
!
Everybody is working with a cluster ! When you are not spotted, you don't make
more than 1 or 2 QSO per 5 minutes ! When you are spotted, you make 3-4 QSO per
minute during 10-15 minutes and after you do nothing !

So, many times I asked the stations who were calling me to spot me on the
cluster. Some of them understood it, some of them did not. Tnx to all stations
who did it, if not I would QRT. One spotted me with my call-sign  hi !

During first 24h, I was on 15 and when it did not work I went on the other
bands in check-log in order to give FO to the other stations. I lost a lot of
QSO by doing this. The best thing I had to do was to stay on 15 and try to work
mults. But, I could see how was the propagation on the other bands. 20 was good,
and 40 was nice only when I was spotted.
Few QSO on 80. I was surpised to hear CN on 80 with my poor dipole !
70 QSO on 40 with some good surprises like QSO with UP0L, AO8A, CN3A.
Very disappointed by the 20 meters ! I would like to make some QSO like in CW
during the pacific evening with Europe, but I did nothing !

15 was nice but with total blackout by moments! Some stations have really some
impressionant sigs. When you are in France, we are really impressed about the
HC8 sigs ! Here, it was all the stations in CN, EA8, CT3 and ST.

Now I just have to build a little inverted L for top band, and I will be OK for
the CW.

Tnx to all stations who called me.

All the best from Tahiti.

Online logs and Lotw will be uploaded soon.
QSL via F8BPN.

RIG : FT990 100 WATTS AND 3 ELTS YAGI UP 6 METERS.

Go to http://f5phw.chez.com/index.php?lng=en to see the poor equipment and if
you have time to sign the guestbook.

73 and see you in CW

FO8RZ Phil