[3830] CQWW SSB W6YX M/2 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Oct 26 12:55:34 PDT 2009

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N6CCH,N7MH,W6NEV,W6RK
Station: W6YX

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: CA

  160:    3     3        3
   80:   42    13       15
   40:  306    30       67
   20:  685    35      125
   15:  441    29       93
   10:   18    10       10

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

We started the contest with only a single working amp so Rebar, N6CCH, brought
in a small Dentron amp that had been gathering dust and spent a few hours
trying to get it working.  Finally at 1900Z on Saturday he got it working
reliably which gave us 400 W output instead of the 100 W with a barefoot
FT1000MP.  We only had a second station operating for 13 out of the 48 hours.

Marty, W6NEV, operated from the station for the first time on Saturday
afternoon and evening and mostly ran on 15 meters.  Marty seemed to be having a
great time so hopefully he can help in future contests.

We didn't hear or work anything on 10 meters until late Sunday morning.  I saw
some 10-meter spots on the cluster from east coast stations so I went to 10 and
listened at all of the spotted frequencies - Nada.  I decided to try CQing to
just get the zone 3 mult and worked a local who wasn't in the contest.  Then a
South Carolina station, also not in the contest, called for zone 5.  More CQing
only produced another local station so I did one final pass of the packet spots
and was surprised that LU1HF was now a good S9 and workable.

I then clicked through the other spots and heard weak signals from a few other
stations that I managed to work including 8P5A who I only heard for a few
seconds total.  Later, in the 2200 hour there was a better opening to South
America with several PY stations having steady signals.  I heard Rich at HC8A
long enough to make a Q and to answer "very weak" when he asked how his signal
was.  I saw a spot for E51USA from K7SS with about 5 minutes to go.  Worked
them and a couple other Oceania stations before the final bell.

40 meters to Europe was very difficult.  It was much easier to work the EU
stations that were operating split than those who were between 7125 and 7200.
We didn't work Italy or Spain on 40, both of which are usually easy.  I tried
in the last half hour of the contest to work EA, I and a few other mults on 40
but they were all unworkable even though several stations were very loud.

I heard only a few EU stations on 80 and also P33W was coming in well, but our
inverted vee at 60 feet was not enough to work any of these stations this year.
 I was also disappointed that we couldn't get any JA runs going on 80.  The
usual strong JA stations on the band were weaker than normal and I assume that
with the high bands open many stations didn't stick around on 80 to work more
than the one zone 3 Q needed for the mult.

-Mike, N7MH