[3830] CQWW SSB K4ZW(@NR4M) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Oct 26 17:11:46 PDT 2009

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K4ZW
Operator(s): K4ZW
Station: NR4M

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: VA

  160:   43    13       31
   80:  242    18       72
   40:  746    23       90
   20:  892    34      116
   15: 1156    27      105
   10:   46     9       22

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Thanks to Steve and Carolyn for giving me the opportunity to run this one from
the farm.  A lot of outside work was done this past summer.  The second 190'
AB-105 tower was completed and hosts a 6 element 20 meter yagi on a 54' boom.
Other antennas will eventually grace the tower.  This also allows us to hang a
catenary line for an 80 meter quad to Europe.  A catenary line between the 20 &
15 meter towers supported a single "T" element on 160.  I had a spare 2 element
Comtek box so we added a second element and put the box into service.  It was a
fairly easy task and appears to have been worth the minimal effort for a few db.
 I can say that because K7SV did the radial field.  :-)  Three more sections of
Rohn 45 will complete the 10 meter tower.  So for this weekend I used the KT-36
on the 70' crank up.  That's it for towers after the 10, unless Steve dreams up
a new project.
  15 Meters was fantastic as others also noted.  It wasn't a real surprise as
solar conditions were shaping up to match 2007 when we also had excellent
conditions on 15.  Managed to work an IK4 and 9A on 10.  160 was poor Friday
night and 80 was aweful.  I had less than 100 Q's on 80 by Saturday morning and
couldn't even manage to log a simple F/TM station.  I was beginning to wonder if
there was a problem with the 4-square.  Actually switching to the SE is not
working but the other directions were fine.  Should also note the very nice
openings to Asia on 20.  It's fun to call CQ and see what answers.  Pretty cool
to get calls from various Chinese stations.
  My expectation was to improve on last years score with the additional
hardware, especially if 15 came to life like it did in 07, and be a little more
competative.  Finished with more Q's, less mults, and virtually the same score.
It may be time to upgrade the operator.