[3830] CQWW SSB N1LN M/2 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Oct 27 03:35:34 PDT 2009

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): W4KAZ, N4YDU, KA1ARB, K4CZ, N4TCP, N1YXU, N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: NC-05

  160:   78    14       30
   80:  290    19       82
   40:  573    30      107
   20: 1113    34      131
   15:  924    29      129
   10:   98    10       24

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Another CQWW-SSB is now behind us. What started off to be a very frustrating
Friday evening, from the propagation perspective, ended up being a much better
than expected finish and weekend overall. The goals we set were quite simple.
To work over 3000 Qs and score over 4 meg points. In the end, we realized both
goals, but in the early hours of the contest the probability for success of the
journey was questionable.

The frustration, mostly with 75 and 160, was caused by being able to hear MUCH
more than we could work. We kept calling the EU stations with few responses.
They were working mid-west, south-west and western states. So trying to get a
run going was out of the question. Some consolation was realized when the BIG
GUN east coast stations were heard calling and calling and also not working
them.  In this case misery did not enjoy the company.  This continued for much
of Friday night and into Saturday morning. When this frustration was combined
with the S9+ static crashes, on both 75 and 160, our pre-contest goals seemed
quite distant.   Saturday night was better, but not much.  Our final Q count
and Mult counts on 75 and 160 were 10 percent under 2008.

Salvation was to come early on Saturday morning in the form of both 15 and 20
meters opening to Europe early.  20 opened at 1018z on Saturday and 1044z on
Sunday. 15 opened shortly after at 1159z on Saturday and 1128z on Sunday. These
times are when Multi-two is fun.   We stayed on 15 and 20 all day Saturday and
finally moved to 40 and 75 well after dinner. Yes, the occasional check of 10
meters occurred but not much success on Saturday.  Sunday on 10 meters was
better but we did not catch the EU opening.  Our Q count break down on 10
meters ended up being SA at 79 percent and NA at 21 percent.

At the 16 hour mark we finally got ahead of our 2008 totals and never looked
back.  The gap continued to build for both Q count and multiplier count and
when the final bell struck we were successful in beating both of our original
goals and, at the same time, improving on our 2008 total score by 43 percent.
Our Q count was up by 19 percent and our mult count was up by 8.5 percent.

Even the equipment all cooperated without any failures.  We did drop our
logging software network a couple times, but this was the first time we ran
wireless.  Not sure if that was the cause, but a quick reconnect and all was
well.  As expected the two K3s made the crowded band conditions bearable.
Another THANK YOU to Elecraft.

Imagine all this while spending a weekend with good friends, good food, a few
favorite teams football wins including Duke, LSU, the Patriots and the Texans.
The team members were W4KAZ (Kaz), N4YDU (Nate), KA1ARB (Rob), K4CZ (Barry), a
new team member and hopefully a regular at future events, N4TCP (Ken), Laurie
(N1YXU) and Bruce (N1LN).

73,
Bruce – N1LN
(aka: NC4KW)