[3830] MiQP K8MQP(@W8MJ) M/M HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Apr 18 20:44:21 PDT 2010

                    Michigan QSO Party

Call: K8MQP
Operator(s): K8CC, K8GT, KE8OC, KT8X, W8MJ, W8UE, WD8S, WR8W
Station: W8MJ

Class: M/M HP
QTH: LIVI

   80:  217     288
   40:  232     396
   20:  152     361
--------------------
Total:  601    1045  CW Mults = 111  Ph Mults = 117  Total Score = 512,316

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This was our second try at the MiQP from W8MJ's QTH in Livingston County.

Last year, we had three stations QRV: 80 CW/SSB, 40 CW/SSB and 20 CW/SSB and
made 1722 QSOs (before logchecking).  This year, we hung a few extra dipoles in
the trees in Ken's yard and had five stations: a CW only station, a SSB only
station, a CW/SSB station, a 20 CW/SSB station and a 15/10 CW/SSB station.  The
mode-specific stations were both on 40 during the day, then both switched to 80
at night, while the CW/SSB station did the opposite (i.e., 80 during the day
and 40 at night).  Despite optimism that the high bands might cooperate after
good condx in recent contests, the 15/10 station failed to produce a single
QSO.

20M SSB was very good at the start, producing well over 100 QSOs in the first
hour.  After the first couple of hours the rate slowed considerably, but we
made QSOs on 20 during each hour of the event.  One encouraging thing was that
our 20 CW total was up about 50% from past years.

40M didn't seem very good this year.  While our CW total was up a little, SSB
was down quite significantly.  Part of the problem may have been due to the
inter-station QRM between the CW and SSB rigs trying to coexist simultaneously
on the band.  However, signals began to pick up nicely by late afternoon and we
made up some ground as time went on.

80M was pretty good the entire contest.  About an hour before the start, we
heard N9NE/m from the U.P. with good signals along with K8MR/m closer in.  With
40M so poor, 80M is the big band for Michigan stations to work each other for
county multipliers.  OTOH, it was cool to work OM2VL on 80 CW with just a
dipole.

This was a good year as far as multipliers for us.  Last year, we had 102 on CW
and 119 on phone for 221 total, while this year it was 111 on CW and 117 on
phone for 228 total.  The mobiles did another great job this year and were no
doubt a major factor in our totals.

The station took an entire day to put together, and another day to take apart
so Ken could get it back into single-op configuration to operate the Florida
QSO Party next weekend :-)

Our team thanks everyone for all of the QSOs, and we hope you all had as much
fun as we did.

73,

K8CC,K8GT, KE8OC, KT8X, W8MJ, W8UE, WD8S and WR8W