[3830] FlQP W8MJ SOABMixed LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Apr 26 19:10:58 PDT 2010

                    Florida QSO Party

Call: W8MJ
Operator(s): W8MJ
Station: W8MJ

Class: SOABMixed LP
QTH: MI

   40:  107     14
   20:  380    225
   15:   30      4
   10:    0      3
--------------------
Total:  517    246  CW Mults = 67  Ph Mults = 67  Total Score = 343,040

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Going into FQP 2010 was very different from prior years. Having won the FQP
Mixed Award 8 out of the last 9 years and for the last 7 years straight I was
seriously thinking of running a different category.  After reading NS3T article
on will W8MJ win his 8th straight FQP it inspired me to run S/O once again?
Seeing the number of mobile operations posted on the FQP website I felt this
was a great opportunity to try and go for it.  The most mobile activity I have
seen posted to date.  After posting an all time record last year I really felt
I good expand on that score this year.  One thing I did not figure in was the
weather.  While many FQP mobiles may have posted all time records, out of state
competition would at least from my end find it to be a little more challenging.
Given the weather storm circumstances it did over all affect the out of state
competition, at least from my end of the world.  While the CW qso’s were
slightly up the SSB qso’s were down considerably from prior year, which I
have to contribute to the storms moving through Florida over the weekend and
fixed stations not getting on the air.

Checking the bands prior to the contest yielded great results.  I was getting
599 reports on CW on 20 and I thought ok things are looking very good.  At the
start of the contest results were very good on CW and not so good on SSB.
Running SO2R I have always CQ on 20 SSB and work the mobiles on CW on the 2nd
rig, and move those working mixed operations to phone to get the multiplier
both ways.  However early on I discovered that those mobiles posting mixed
operations would not go SSB due to noise conditions which proved frustrating as
time moved on.  The other frustrating event was how 15 meters was wide open.
While working a number of fixed stations I don’t recall working any mobiles
at all.  Even though I would tell a number of mobiles hey 15 is wide open,
there was no activity from mobiles, at least on my end active.  However, I have
learned over the years to perceiver through times like these and push forward.
Given that fact I just kept Cq’ing on 20 SSB and working stations on CW on
the other radio. While I would check 15 for activity from time to time I would
find fixed stations, but no moibles.  Due to the low response on phone I just
kept pushing forward and just kept cq’ing on phone.  At the end of the first
day I had all of the 67 counties on CW and 53 on phone.  Having 14 counties to
go on Sunday phone and given the storming conditions I really thought I would
not get the sweep both ways.  Going into the 2nd day with 14 mults needed on
phone I was seriously thinking if I could get 7 of those that would be great.
As the 2nd day moved on I slowly was able work the 14 remaining mults down to 7
and finally down to 4 just needing Dade, Glades, Hamilton and Okeechobee.  I
actually started to incorporate CQ Florida QSO Party looking for any stations
in Florida especially Glades, Hamilton, Okeechobee, and Dade on phone.  Thanks
to W4ZGR, he was able to give me Glades, Hamilton and Okeechobee over a period
of time and I was able to pick up Dade as the last one on phone for the sweep
both ways.  From there on it was work as many stations as possible to the very
end.

I just want to give a big thanks to all of the mobiles.  Given the severe
weather conditions over the weekend for Florida the mobiles did a terrific job.
 At times working some of the mobiles on SSB was extremely difficult because
their noise levels were 20 over.  But in the end it was extremely gratifying to
get the sweep both ways.  A rarity in itself but richly rewarding for the pain
staking effort considering the weather conditions that we had to contend with.
 Guido’s for all the mobiles for such a terrific performance.  While the
overall contacts were down this year from prior year the overall results were
very satisfying given the weather circumstances.  Another fantastic year by the
Florida Contest Group.  Great job guys.  The mobiles really make this contest,
but the fix stations add to over all performance of the Florida Contest Group
so a very wonderful job by all in Florida.   Thanks for being there for all of
us out of stated contesters. We will have to wait and see if the score holds up
for another FQP Mixed Award, but overall it was very satisfying just to be in
the hunt for the Florida counties, until next year.  Mobile statistics are
below.  Not to negate the importance of mobile contacts, but 454 of my 763
contacts was with mobiles. That is 60% of my total contacts with FQP.  So
working the mobiles is a plus – plus –plus.

Mobile Contacts

K4KG 57, N4O 50, K4OJ 47, N4EEB 35, NF4A 33, N4PJ 30, W4MY 29, W4AN 28, W1NN
26, K4O 20 N4AO 17, K5YAA 17, AD4ES 11, W4ZW 9, KC4HW 7, NX4N 7, K4LQ	6, K2CIB
5, KT4Q 4, K1KNQ 4, N1XC 3, W4ZGR 3, WN3USA 21, KB8OSB 2, K4P 2.

73’s

Ken W8MJ