[3830] NAQP CW VE6TL Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sat Aug 7 23:21:48 PDT 2010

                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: VE6TL
Operator(s): VE6TL
Station: VE6TL

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Calgary

Total:  483   137  Total Score = 66,171

Club: ALBERTA CLIPPERS

Team:

Comments:

Started out on 15m and lasted a bit less than an hour (1 PM local time) before
the band started to fold.  There was absolutely nothing on 10m here.
Fortunately, 20m seemed to perk up a bit in the mid afternoon but was still
very noisy (20 db across entire band on my TH6).  My new FTDX-5000MP helped cut
through a lot of the noise with the IPO setting and DNR working great together.
Switched to 40m about 5:30PM Local (2330Z) and decided to take an hour off at
0000Z, as none of the bands seemed very good.  Also took 9PM-10PM off
(0300-0400Z) as had worked 40m pretty hard and wasn't hearing anything new.
The last two hours were not too bad and with about 45 minutes to go, decided to
switch from my SteppIR BigIR vertical to my shunt-fed 40' tower.  It made a big
difference and I was able to pick up about 10 new mults on 80m.  Never bothered
with 160m.  We had some thunderstorms go through around 4-5 PM and that caused a
lot of QRN for quite a while.  But overall, the signals were ok.  In the final
tally, the only state I missed altogether was Vermont, while I also missed NL,
NT, NU, PE and SK in Canada.  In fact, I only worked one other VE6 (early on,
on 20m), so I guess we were a rare mult.  The highlight was working Cayman
Islands on all 4 bands.  He called me right at the end of the contest on 80m.

CU in the next one.

Jerry VE6TL

Rig:  FTDX-5000MP (100W for contest)
Ant:  TH6DXX for 20-15-10m