[3830] NAQP CW N3QE Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Aug 8 08:04:41 PDT 2010

                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: N3QE
Operator(s): N3QE
Station: N3QE

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Bethesda MD

Total:  472   130  Total Score = 61,360

Club:

Team:

Comments:

I think I did a better allocation of time to the different bands here, than in
some past NAQP's. In particular I tried hard not to stay where the rate was
high on 80M (which in some past NAQP's, even August NAQP's, had 75% of my QSO's
on 80M), but move around to other bands and save 80M for when the other bands
had been exhausted.

I worked every state except RI. Some of the harder to find states were very
well represented (SD, ND in particular). I was worried I wouldn't work Iowa,
Hawaii, Nebraska, states that are usually well represented early on with 15M
and 20M activity, but I did finally get all of these on 40M at night.

15M and 20M in the afternoon. Rate was never awful high like at night, but I
think I was clocking them in better than some past NAQP efforts.

40M in the late afternoon. Rate was truly truly excellent, with many stretches
of 100+ QSO's/hr and a few phenomenal peaks of 180-190 QSO's an hour over some
10 minute stretches, including some really productive S&P. (S&P is a little too
tactical for NAQP - maybe "shooting fish in a barrel" is a better description!)

80M in the early-mid evening. QRN wasn't so bad. Some truly incredibly high
rates, working mostly stuff East of the Mississippi.

Went back to 40M until the last hour, lots of West Coast activity booming in
here. In past NAQP efforts I had moved to 80M too early and by the time I went
back to 40M it was a ghostland. Not this August, 40M was far and away the most
productive band of all. To use the lingo 40M was open both "long" and "short".

Tried to go back to 80M for some "easy fish in the barrel" type stuff in the
last hour but the atmospherics were incredibly bad. I did work some west coast
states but I got the impression the QRN was awful on both ends. I know I was
struggling to work loud S9 stations because the noise was 10dB over S9. Went
back to 40M and finished up.