[3830] NAQP CW NN7SS(K6UFO) Single Op QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Aug 9 17:24:46 PDT 2010

                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: NN7SS
Operator(s): K6UFO
Station: NN7SS

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: WA

   40:  20     14
   20:   8      6
   15:   2      2
Total:  30     22  Total Score = 660

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Team:

Comments:

Well, not the best score I ever posted....
I was testing a new "remote" CW station setup. "Remote" was only across
my desktop for this testing, and it was possible to make contacts - but not
up to my "Contest-Speed" requirements.

There were delays in tuning and in the audio catching up with the tuning.
Delays from pushing a button to when the transmitting starts. And finally,
poor CW keying with pauses and varying weighting. It was sooo bad that
I stopped contesting and tried to fix, change or improve things. While it
would be possible to ragchew or casual operate - it was not good enough
for a DX pileup or high-speed contesting. Ever notice how the big CQing
station only waits milliseconds for an answer before CQing again? Yes,
that was me doubling with him every time...

First was days of messing with computers, Windows 7, cables, software,
settings, Windows XP, routers, USB-to-serial adapters, audio cables and
adapters, Skype, etc...

Then when it finally seemed to be working, and the contest was starting
- the audio was all messed up. After painstakingly going through every
setting, cable, connector and volume control, I finally got everything balanced

and working withing a reasonable range.

Finally, I was able to make a few QSOs. This was such a success, I took a
break and had lunch.  Later I managed a few more QSOs with a different
remote login configuration.  But I'm not going to try any serious contesting
with these annoying delays.

Anyway, thanks for being there to provide the trial run!

NN7SS Burt WA (K6UFO op)

20m-10m: C-31XR at 71ft.
40m: Force 12 Delta 240 at 78ft
N4PY Software