[3830] NAQP SSB N4XL Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sat Aug 21 22:53:29 PDT 2010

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: N4XL
Operator(s): N4XL
Station: N4XL

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: SC

  160:    5     4
   15:   11     1
Total:  589   108  Total Score = 64,790

Club: South East Contest Club

Team: SECC Firecrackers

Comments:

Well, that was kinda' fun.  Thanks to all -- I enjoyed each and every QSO, but
station problems and WX kept me from having a great time.

Had a flooded basement a couple weeks ago that prevented me from getting into
the NAQP CW. Lost several shack related things -- and although I'd tested most
of the stuff some didn't show up until after the contest started. Kind of like
our telephone that worked for two days after the flood then corrosion in the
connectors knocked it out.

Problems from flood were:
- Lost radio to computer communications requiring manual band changes in N1MM
use band map. I self-populate the band maps, but that still slowed me down as
had to wait in S&P to reidentify stations and that slowed me down.The
communications problem is internal to the radio and I'm lousy at small surface
mount component repairs.
- Lost one of two computer sound card outputs and had to route cables to the
front of the computer.  Unknown was that RFI caused problems with audio. I had
moved the ferrite beads out of the basement after the flood. Put them in big
boxes with other stuff and couldn't find them.
- Half way through the contest the audio from the voice keyer became
intermittent. Did not appear to be RFI related and the 2nd computer audio line
is probably going bad.
- Rig ALC didn't operate correctly. Believe RFI related as came back to life
when reduced power.
- Although it works, my main computer monitor began to get shifting lines in it
and shrink a bit at the bottom of the screen. Kept thinking it was going to go
out. This was not related to RFI.

As to WX:
- S9 to 20 db over noise on 40, 80, and 160.
- Two rounds of thunderstorms came through.
- Percipitation static made copying through the popcorn sounds impossible for
anything but the loudest stations for an hour or so of the contest.
- Haven't been able to permanently seal hole in basement that caused the flood
and I found water in the basement again. Fortunately it came from a backed up
drain line on the dehumidifier I put in the basement and not the temporary plug
keeping the floodwaters at bay. But still had to take time to clean it up. Kept
worrying and checking the drain all through the contest.

Well, I've a list of things to keep me busy for awhile.

I did manage to keep up a rate of 100+ for over an hour. That's a first for me
and my modest station.

73's

Kevan
N4XL