[3830] OhQP K8MR Rover LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Aug 31 09:19:31 PDT 2010

                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR, AC8E
Station: K8MR

Class: Rover LP
QTH: 23 Counties

   80:  296     58
   40:  195     56
   20:   96      5
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  587    119  CW Mults = 66  Ph Mults = 60  Total Score = 162,918

Club: Northern Ohio DX Association

Comments:

By county, in order of appearance:

        CW   SSB
LAKE    15     0
ASHT    24     0
GEAU    12     1
TRUM    25     0
MAHO    23     0
COLU    32     0
CARR    27    41
JEFF    16     0
HARR    31     0
BELM    45    11
MONR    56    37
NOBL    39     5
GUER    11     6
MUSK    24     6
LICK    32     3
FAIR    17     1
FRAN    24     3
DELA    20     3
MORR    25     0
RICH    25     2
ASHL    24     0
WAYN    19     0

ST      35    23
CTY     31    37

A beautiful day to be driving around Ohio. I do wonder if it was too beautiful
in other nearby places, keeping people away from the radios until later in the
day. Things plugged away during the daytime, but with rarely any good bursts of
activity. For a while I thought it may have been the Tennessee QSO Party from
all the TN guys in there, but their party is this coming weekend.

This year we had an excellent turnout of mobiles in Ohio, so I decided to do a
shorter route and stop in a few rare counties to put up a dipole to be loud
enough to pass out some rare counties on SSB to the deserving. Our first stop
was in Carroll county, where we found a closed business with a nice tree by the
parking area in the back. I had difficulty getting the EZ-Hang to get off a good
shot to get the string in the tree, but eventually did and got the antenna up. I
did do an A/B comparison with the Hustler on 40 meters, which the dipole won by
about four S-units. Had some decent luck working other Ohio counties on 40,
which is something I had not run into in recent years.

We had next planned to stop in Belmont county, but we were by then runnning
behind my time estimates, so decided to not stop there. Good thing, as the rest
area on I-70 where we had planned to stop was closed due to reconstruction of
the westbound lanes of I-70.

The second stop was at a small church near Miltonsburg in Monroe county. It was
a beautiful site, on top of a small but steep hill with a beautiful view,
especially to the west. Setup here went better. We did mostly 80/75 from this
stop. Tried 40 which sounded open, but not much success.

we were out of there as the sun was setting. From there it was back to the
interstates, through Columbus and back toward Cleveland. Decent but not
spectacular rates most of the way, until things finally got very good in the
last hour, mostly on 80 CW.

No major problems, a few missed turns but none that had major impact. Thanks to
all who participated, thanks to driver John, AC8E, and thanks to the great PR
job by Kenny, K2KW, for bringing out the tremendous activity among Ohio
stations, for many of whom I suspect may have been one of the first contests
they have operated.

73  -  Jim   K8MR