[3830] CQWW CW K8CN SOAB QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Wed Dec 1 18:37:44 PST 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K8CN
Operator(s): K8CN
Station: K8CN

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Durham NH

   80:   10     5        7
   40:  207    19       70
   20:  287    16       64
   15:  124    17       56
   10:   10     7        9

Gotta get my priorities straight here:

First, my sincere apology goes to friend Tim, KT8K, for unknowingly stealing
HG3DX from you on Sunday! (See, I did read your posting this time.) If I had
paused to listen, I never would have called on top of you - it's my habit to
let other QRPers go first if I hear them.  I owe you some antenna help, or at
least a lunch, next time I'm in Ann Arbor.

Second, my family gets my sincere gratitude for their patient forbearance of my
absence during the contest!

Third, I'll echo all the QRPers who thank the rest of you for hanging in there
with us -- you make it all worthwhile!

Station: Elecraft K2 at 5W; Lazy-H, cut for 20M, half-wave spacing between
doublets, fed at center of phasing line for multi-band operation.

Secret station enhancement since last year (shhh! - don't tell anyone!): a
good, used, cushioned swivel chair with great lumbar support and adjustable
seat height, bought cheap!  I'm beginning to think there's something to this
ergonomics stuff after all..........

Now to comments:
Great propagation (if I forget early Friday night) - check!
Re-adjusted goals upward as contest progressed - check!
Established new personal best (my history in CQWW CW isn't long)- check!
Tired of run stations not signing their calls - check!
Pileups I couldn't break: A73A, 9L5VT
Stations neat to hear because I so rarely hear anything over the North pole:
VU2PAI, BA4ALC on 40M at Sunday morning gray line
Strange propagation effects: easily discerned echoes on LZ6W at 1323Z Saturday,
20M
Breaking the 500 Q mark at 1347Z Sunday: Oh, what a feeling!
Missed that in the contesting manual: take nap to maintain alertness later on
Friday night.  I did, but the nap was from 0300Z - 0500Z Saturday (Friday night
in NA)! -- oh well, 40M was a real slog prior to the nap, and it was much more
encouraging after my nap.

The great danger for QRPers is that we come to expect such favorable
propagation in the next contest, but then plunge into depression if it doesn't
materialize.

Congratulations to all the great ops out there, and thanks for the Qs!

73,
Mike, K8CN