[3830] ARRL 160 N5LZ Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 5 08:13:50 PST 2010

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N5LZ
Operator(s): N5LZ
Station: N5LZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Utah

Total:  QSOs = 917  Sections = 76  Countries = 18  Total Score = 180,010

Club: Utah DX Association

Comments:

The first night was great fun, but it really slowed down for me the second
night(typical for this contest).  Condx were good with a quiet band, but it
didn't measure up to last year.  Saturday night the band was filled with CQers,
one every 400 Hz or so, including far too many Ws in the DX Window, and most
stations had already worked one another so their CQs were mostly unanswered.
No wonder our non-contesting friends thing were nuts!

I, for one, think this contest would be more fun if it were just one night.

I missed NNY, PR, NL, and NWT for a section sweep.  I heard VO1TA Friday night,
but there were too many strong signals nearby for me to even try him... and I
think I briefly heard NP4A early Sunday.... he had a good signal, but he
disappeared .. he must have been S&Ping.

My Station: Just one radio for this one - K3 and Alpha 9500 with a little Alpha
Delta Sloper on a 50 foot tower .. and diversity receive using an inverted L
about 300 feet from the tower.

Maybe next year N5LZ will operate the first night and turn the station over to
NN7ZZ the second night.

thanks for the Qs, Don, N5LZ