[3830] ARRL 160 K5AF Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 5 12:27:40 PST 2010

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K5AF
Operator(s): K5AF
Station: K5AF

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: STX

Total:  QSOs = 179  Sections = 61  Countries = 6  Total Score = 25,393

What an amazing band!  Stations located between myself and the station I was
calling would be inaudible to me, but worked by the target station.  Then
stations located between myself and the station I was calling would be S-9+
here and the target station would not hear them!

I think that I could have worked everything I heard if the timing was right.
Sometimes I'd have station CQ in my face while I tried to get his attention,
then I'd retrun 15 minutes later and work him with one call!  These are among
the many wonders of Top Band!

What is simply mind-boggling to me is how well we collectively do with very
modest antennas.  I have a 200' center-fed dipole at 30'.  The equivalent
antenna on 20M would be a 25' dipole less than 4 feet off the ground!!!  There
are others with even smaller antennas.

I missed the prime hours, but found late Saturday night/Sunday morning to be
quite good, better than Friday night.  I wish I hadn't been so tired,  the band
seemed to get stronger as the wee morning hours moved on!

Thanks to all who copied my puny signal, I'll try to get the antennas better
for CQ160.

73,  Paul