[3830] ARRL 160 K0TV M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Dec 6 12:18:00 PST 2010

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K0TV
Operator(s): N1IW, WO1N, KB1TBU, K0TV
Station: K0TV

Class: M/S HP
QTH: New Hampshire

Total:  QSOs = 1200  Sections = 79  Countries = 47  Total Score = 358,722

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

The week before the contest, I was trying to get the 160M off center fed dipole
back up so we would have a second transmit antenna. On Friday, I succeeded in
getting it up with the balun at about 30 feet. It did not perform very well the
first night. Saturday we got the dipole all the way up with the balun at about
80 feet. It performed much better on the second night.

Mike, N1IW did his usual bang up job handling the high rates in the evenings
and Ken did a great job in the overnight. I was filling in during some of the
slower periods. A new team member joined us this year. Scott, KB1TBU did a lot
of work helping to get the antennas up and ready for the contest. Although
Scott did not operate (he’s still learning CW), he provided lots of help
getting the station ready. Scott also provided a lot of moral support during
the operating periods. I think he’s probably going to be better motivated to
get his speed up so he can participate in the fun of a CW contest. Scott
certainly isn’t lacking in enthusiasm. We can’t wait for him to be ready to
operate in more than just SSB contests.

Conditions were good. Finding a frequency was difficult but Mike certainly
found a few good ones over the course of the contest. This contest was our best
effort yet. We just missed a sweep by NWT. We saw the spot but we had a good
rate going on our run frequency and didn’t want to break that rhythm. At the
time, we had 76 sections worked. A bit later we picked up two of the remaining
sections right in a row on our run frequency. KP4 was the 79th and last
section. DX multipliers were more than we had gotten in any previous year.

MVP for this contest goes to Scott, KB1TBU for his help in getting the station
ready and for moral support during the contest. Although Scott did not make a
single contact, his help made our effort possible.

Thanks to all the stations who called in and we’ll see everyone for the CQWW
160 CW weekend in January.

73, Jerry â€" K0TV