[3830] CQWW CW LY9A(@LY1R) SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Dec 7 13:39:03 PST 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: LY9A
Operator(s): LY9A
Station: LY1R

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: nr Kaunas
Operating Time (hrs): 44h22

  160:  413     8       51
   80:  685    15       70
   40:  463    25       97
   20:  743    31       98
   15:  249    28       93
   10:   49    10       31

Club: Kaunas Univ of Tech Radio Club

Comments:

First of all I want to thank Alex LY1R for letting me use his shack and
antennas, for all His unvalued help during preparation.
  The week prior Contest happened to be very harassing. It begun from shocking
news about sudden death of my friend Rimas LY4CW. We had nice telephone
conversation just before lunch time, but few hours later Rimas lost his life in
the road accident.
 All the week I had no chance to go to my bed earlier than 01 or 02 AM, had to
travel nearly 500 km on Thuersday to say last good bye to Rimas, then early on
Friday morning had 3.5 hours drive to Alex QTH. I knew there will be necessary
to make and put up 160 and 80m dipoles from almost zero, but I knew also that
good monobanders, including 40m 3el., were waiting for me. The first 160m
temporary dipole was built and put up just before sunset. 80m antenna were put
up in the dark and heavy cold. The real Winter came to Lithuania on Thuersday.
When I came in to the shack, quite a disapointing news were waiting. Three
rotators were frozen. We managed to make working two of them feeding engines
with higher voltage than normal, but 40m yagi continued looking at about 30
degrees. We tryed everything possible, but no luck. Alex offered him to climb
the tower at daytime on Saturday to try make antenna rotating. Luckily He had
an 40 - 10 meter multiband vertical which was not used for about last 10 years.

 I spent lot of the time for building my new SO2R box last week, had bring with
me my both radios etc, but was so tired that decided to go with one radio only
this time. According my plans, 40m band supposed to be the main one,
unfortunatelly the main gun - 3 el full size Yagi remained shouting to wrong
direction till the end of the Contest.....
Considering all the circumstances, I'm quite satisfied with my final this year
score.
Congratulations to Tine, S50A on His FB score!
73&CU! Gedas, LY9A