[3830] CWopsT W0UCE HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Wed Dec 8 08:48:21 PST 2010

                    CWops Mini-CWT Test - 1100Z Dec 8

Call: W0UCE
Operator(s): W0UCE
Station: W0UCE

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 00:11

   80:   0      0
   40:   1      1
   20:  12     12
-------------------
Total:  13     13  Total Score = 169

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was my shortest contest participation in 58 years of hamming.  Just before
CWT this morning I was updating a program on my shack computer when it was hit
by a very malicious virus called WinActive AnitVirus which locked up my
computer.  After unsuccessful attempts at removing the virus I fired up my
laptop, configured N1MM, changed cables and was able to put in a total of only
11 minutes.

Everyone should be aware of this threat as it can come from almost any website
that has been infected.  According to an IT Professional friend who is trying
to help me overcome the problem; the way it self installs and bypasses even the
most sophisticated Virus Protection it has devastating effects on any computer
it hits.  This is one bad threat that is worth knowing about:
WinActive AntiVirus is a fake security program. The only difference between Win
Active AntiVirus and the majority of other corrupt tools is WinActive
AntiVirus’ attempt to look like part of MS Windows system. The tool uses logo
which resembles Windows OS logo. It also displays “Windows Security Center”
pop-ups. WinActiveAntiVirus is not related to Windows and it’s not developed
by Microsoft. Avoid downloading WinActive Anti Virus and under no circumstances
purchase this program.
Win Active Anti Virus pretends to be a trial version of a security tool. The
real purpose of this program is milking money for a nonfunctional app.
WinActive AntiVirus is not able to work as a regular antivirus; however,
calling WinActive nonfunctional is not honest. Win Active AntiVirus is able to
generate annoying pop-ups. It is also able to slow a PC down considerably.
WinActive Anti Virus is installed by Trojans. It may also appear on a PC after
clicking on a fraudulent banner or after visiting a malicious website.
 73,
Jack