[3830] ARRL 10 VE4EAR SO Mixed HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Dec 13 06:57:49 PST 2010

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: VE4EAR
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4EAR

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   CW:   69    39
  SSB:   43    22
-------------------
Total:  112    61  Total Score = 22,082

Wow quite a variation in propagation depending on where you were. Sunday was
better than Saturday up here and Friday night was non existent.

Saturday morning started with working the east coast of Canada and then a
station in MT. Not sure what kind of propagation that was. Never did detect an
opening to AF on Saturday. SA and Zone 8 were the extent of stations heard on
Saturday. No Pacific or OC stations heard. Several times during the day
Stations would pop in and quickly fade away. I suspect meteor enhancements.

Sunday morning the band was dead until someone flicked a switch and the east
coast of Canada, VE1OP and VY2ZM started booming in. I was watching the
bandscope on the 7700 and thought my neighbor a couple streets over was calling
CQ. Tuned in and found it was VE1OP at nearly 40 dB over 9!! Conditions lasted
for 10 minutes and never did hear any New England stations and then nothing
else except some weak zone and stations. Finally ZS1EL and EA8AH were heard.
Again the opening to AF only lasted about 30 minutes and then nothing again.
Finally deep SA opened with LU, CX and CE stations. Only heard 2 or 3 PY
stations all weekend.

Waiting for something to open Sunday afternoon, all I could hear was VE8EV and
KL7RA. They seemed to be everywhere I was tuning. See a blip on the bandscope
and tune there and it was them.

Nothing was heard from the continental US except for deep FL until 2300z on
Sunday. The last hour of the contest provided a N/S path to LA, AL, TX, MO, OK,
and AR.

Definitely a contest to be on one of the coasts and much further south. Just
not much of a skip zone from center of the black hole. Either that or it was so
cold outside (-29C) that the electron flow was slowed down so much that the
wavelength was shortened resulting in signals unable to reflect from the
Ionosphere.

Hope to see and hear everyone next week in the RAC contest!

Ed