[3830] TBDC TF4M Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 19 11:00:19 PST 2010

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: TF4M
Operator(s): TF4M
Station: TF4M

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: HP85FP

Total:  QSOs = 434  Total Score = 3,200

Conditions were poor, the Aurora lay like a blank across the arctic, but the
powerful Arctic King performed magnificently.

I used a K3 mostly in diversity mode using another large vertical for rx with
an array of 4 bi-directional Beverage antennas up to 400m long.

Rule 6. I shut down my Skimmer Server during the contest and this young boy
enjoyed his radio without any human or technological assistance of any kind.

The band never really opened towards the US and I was only able to work a few
USA stations although I could hear (sense?) activity all across the band.

Despite the poor conditions 24 QSOs were made with JA which is normally a very
difficult path especially during Aurora.

An article by TF3DX explains the effect of the Aurora on band conditions in
TF:
http://tf4m.com/ja-tf-160

JA0YUD was a solid 599 at 13:10Z and low tide! :-)

The Arctic King antenna project is documented at:
http://tf4m.com/archives/tag/the-king

Heard KH6LC, CE1/K7CA and BW2/KU1CW but was unable to raise them.

The high point of the contest was being called by ZL4AS for my longest distance
QSO of 17789km for a record 36 point QSO and since ZL is nearly antipodal to TF,
I donÂ't think it is possible to have a longer QSO than this from my QTH on the
planet!

73 and see you next year
Thor, TF4M
http://tf4m.com/