[3830] TBDC N6TR Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 19 11:25:42 PST 2010

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N6TR
Operator(s): N6TR
Station: N6TR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: OR

Total:  QSOs = 111  Total Score = 550

Club: Boring ARC

Comments:

Just limited time to operate due to sleep shortage from the week before and
family activities.  Activity seemed really good however as the rates were very
nice - even at 1200Z.

Best DX was ZL3IX, N2NL/KH2 and a few JAs. I wasn't on the band at a good time
for Europe except right at sunset and didn't hear any.  Sorry I didn't bump
into CE1/K7CA who I understand was on after all.

Rig - K3 with a pair of 3-500Zs at 1500 watts to a pair of phased gamma matched
towers - mostly used in phase broadside East/West.  Would switch to the South to
help get those weak W6s using diversity reception with a beverage in one ear and
the TX array in the other.

Replaced the switch box for the TX array with a new home-brew unit with new
relays.  The prototype worked for one year, but having relays exposed to
spiders is not a good idea.  It uses a hybrid coupler to get the 90 degree
phase shift for end firs - and a simple un-un to step the 25 ohms up to about
50 Ohms when operating broadside.  Am seeing about 20 db front to back when
using it end fire even down in the AM broadcast band.

See you on the topband!