[3830] TBDC N6WG Single Op QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 19 14:42:18 PST 2010

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Newark CA

Total:  QSOs = 108  Total Score = 2,682

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I really enjoyed this SP as it was my first contest with my new P3 Panadapter
for my K3.  I can see that it will definitely change the way I S&P across a
band in a contest.

I didn't do quite as well this time as I have in the past, but it was fun.  We
had steady rain all Sunday morning, thoroughly wetting down my antenna.  It is
an 80m quarterwave vertical with a base loading coil.  My elevated counterpoise
wires are spread out on the roof of the house right on the shingles.  With all
the water, I'm not sure if this gave me an over-water ground plane or if the
water was just shorting the rf to very wet ground.  Either way, I managed to
reach PA to the east and KH6 to west, plus KL7.  As
always, some strong stations couldn't hear me, while others that I could barely
hear came right back to my call.  Contesting is really just another game of
chance :-)

Had some problems with my wireless keyboard.  Several of my keys are not making
contact all the time.  I'll have to check with the mfr and see if it is possible
to open it and clean the key contacts.  I like it, and want to keep using it.

My score above includes the x3 multiplier for running 4.9w.  Hope I got the
score calculation right.  I had 3 24 pts, 5 21 pts, 5 18 pts, 1 15 pts, and 8
12 pts QSOs.  After that, it was the usual mix of 3, 6 and 9 pts for relatively
local contacts.

All in all, not bad for 4.9w and 60 ft of wire strapped to a big plastic
stick.
Thanks to all for the Qs.  Hope to see you again next year.
73, Bob N6WG
The Little Station with Attitude