[3830] TBDC W0AIH(K0TG) Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 19 15:27:03 PST 2010

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: W0AIH
Operator(s): K0TG
Station: W0AIH

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 15 hrs

Total:  QSOs = 440  Total Score = 1,555

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

I was sitting in for Tony, KM0O on this one since he is running around 9M6 land
yet.  It was a great time.  I had a hard time getting my mind in order though
in the beginning.  Just out of sorts for the first few hours.  Then things
clicked and I was set.

This was my first Stew Perry and it will not be my last.  Any chance I get to
operate in this one, I will certainly try to do it.  I ran 100 watts and it was
interesting what I could work with that.  There is a lot of feedline between the
rig and the Elevated Vertical.  I think Tony has tried QRP one year.  That would
be interesting.

During the EU sunrise I was CQing on the NE 4-square and had a good run of
EU's.  Starting with OQ4U, then TF4M and then a string of 4 G3's over about 10
minutes.  They had good signals.

My goal was 400 QSO's.  Earlier in the evening I thought that I had blown my
chance at that goal, by chasing EU stations that I head on the band.  I had
heard several moving around and so I tuned around working others and hoping to
come across them and never did until later.  I thought I gave up the good rate
times and blew the 400 goal.  At about 0530Z it seems like the rate dropped
like a rock.  I had about 275 QSO's then and thought that 400 was way out of
the question.  I was pleasantly surprised to get to 400 and then a good way
past that.

Good fun!  Thanks to Paul for the use of his station.

73, John  K0TG