[3830] TBDC AC6DD Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 19 23:23:52 PST 2010

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: AC6DD
Operator(s): AC6DD
Station: AC6DD

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:

Total:  QSOs = 143  Total Score = 143

The bad weather made me abort a planned portable operation.  I did not operate
in the ARRL this year, saving the little free time available for SP.
I stayed at home and used my remote transmitter 10 miles away running some 800W
into a 60' tall bottom loaded vertical and a local receiver using a 12/17m yagi
for RX antenna.  I was severely lacking RX capabilities.
There was lots of noise from the storm, so I was going to participate only for
a few hours, just for show up time.
I ended up being on the air on and off for six hours already, and was now
CQ-ing for some 15 minutes with spotty results.
I was getting ready to go to bed, when all of a sudden I thought my friend Tim
(Not a real Name - The real name is Rory)
showed up on my Frequency.  Tim (I mean Rory) was a character.
A few friends and I used to go bar hopping with him in the mid 1990-ties in San
Luis Obispo.
He could not handle Alcohol(He claimed to be half Indian and half Irish), so
after a few beers (usually two)He would start his "I am a Police Officer"
routine.  He would pull out his Radio Shack Scanner and start hassling some
other poor Drunk for some Identification.
The rest of us would be barely getting warmed up and we would be just rolling
laughing.  One day he actually harassed a real Cop in plain clothes.
The Cop let him go, as he thought Tim was handicapped.  Tim even got a Shirt
that read in front: "I am a Police Officer". He thought he was a real bad ass.

I don't know what happened to him; last I heard is that he Eloped to Vegas with
his Step Mother.

So much to my surprise Tim (Rory) shows up on my Frequency.  At first he asks
me to QSY, because according to him I have bad clicks.
Since I have seen this routine before I ask for some Identification.  There is
no reply.   I keep on with my CQ's.
He comes back and asks me to QSY again as I have bad clicks, and now gives me a
9 area call sign.
I am thinking, "What the hell is Rory doing in Chicago?  This couldn't be
Rory!"  I ask "QSY where? 80 meters?"
He says yes, and starts ripping CQ's on my Frequency.  Darn it is he! So I call
CQ too.  Knowing him, he would not last.

The cool part about having a local RX (actually 4 RX, but no good RX antenna?)
and a remote TX is that you actually get to hear your own signal.
I also heard people calling Rory, but he never replied.
Rory lasted on my Frequency for some 30 minutes, and than he realized his
Police Office routine was not what we were laughing about.

Not much DX worked, only few Caribbean, CE for SA, went to bed shortly after
Rory left, did not get up for JA.

AC6DD