[3830] CQ160 CW N2WN Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 1 07:25:01 PST 2010

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N2WN
Operator(s): N2WN
Station: N2WN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Grainger County

Total:  QSOs = 971  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 51  Total Score = 295,596

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Well, it wasn't the 2009 CQ160, but it wasn't bad... For a while Friday night,
wasn't sure if I'd even be able to stay on the air due to the storm front that
rolled into the area. I've been in East Tennessee just shy of 10 years, and
this has been one heck of a storm year. The latest one brought snow and ice,
and QRN, all more than usual. Power flickered a couple times, but we never lost
power. The QRN was pretty bad at times, which is unusual. The short beverage
helped with it.

Band conditions were deceptive. EU was strong, even pre-SS, but appeared to be
more one way as QSOs were tough to come by until closer to EU SR. Starting at
5PM local time was good here, had my best rates the first couple of hours. Then
folks started popping in, without so much as a "?" or "QRL?" and calling CQ
right on top of me. This seemed much worse this year than in the past. I could
hear EU stations running on the same freq, but it was pretty obvious they were
not hearing us as folks would stop by and call them with zero response. It was
frustrating on a number of levels. Most of these folks, I would give the
benefit of the doubt to, one-sided propagation. There has been on station that
seems to constantly do this, start running on top of others, and suspect I'll
start removing him from my log in the future. He can start dealing with
NILs...

Enough whining, there were more than a few who REALLY worked to make the QSO
considering the number of repeats required. I appreciate their efforts. I know
how hard it is on the Top Band to do this and not lose your run freq.

It's interesting to note that I see an increasing number of EU stations running
higher in the band. That's a good thing, usually there's less QRM on this side
of the pond higher. The old DX window still is helpful for the little guy, who
may not be able to pick out a DX signal lower in the band, but I see more and
more US/VE stations running there for long periods during "prime time". Guess I
have mixed feelings about the window, as a newbie I really appreciated having a
starting point, as I gained experience I find there's usually much more out of
the window than in.

The K3 diversity mode wasn't as valuable in this contest, didn't find the QSB a
big factor. This seemed to be more one-sided propagation.

Was tickled to catch P33W, a tougher area, and T70A. I heard JA8ISU, but was
unable to make a QSO, still hearing JA is better than not ;o) Sunday morning
was my best period into EU, between 0630 and 0800z, their signals were way down
(compared to or SS), but QSOs were "easy". Go figure. Not sure how I missed SD
for WAS, but I did. Also didn't work NS, heard a couple S&Ping.

There were a lot of new calls, it seemed, hopefully a bunch of new devotees to
the Top Band.

Had a couple hours left to play, after developing a nasty headache Saturday
night, so tried the last hours of the contest. Although the rates were more
like running QRP, there were enough QSOs to make it worth the time spent.

K3/100
72' marconi
330' beverage SE/NW

Thanks again for the QSOs and nice to see so many out and about.

73,
Julius
n2wn