[3830] CQ160 CW K0TV Multi-Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 1 09:36:11 PST 2010

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K0TV
Operator(s): K1BG, WO1N, K0TV
Station: K0TV

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: New Hampshire

Total:  QSOs = 1096  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 67  Total Score = 494,875

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I thought donditions were mediocre for this year's running of this contest.

Due to some tree work outside, the Off Center Fed Dipole was still down but
we had one of the Inverted-L antennas up. I did the beverage repairs on
The Friday before the contest and got all the beverages back on line
for the weekend. The weather was absolutely frigid with single digit
temperatures and below zero wind chills. Working outside in the woods
on the beverages was downright miserable.

The usual team for this contest in past years was N1IW, WO1N, and myself.
This year N1IW decided to go it alone from home so K1BG stepped in at the
last minute to fill Mike's rather large shoes. Bruce stepped right up to
the plate and did a bang up job. Bruce wins the MVP award for this effort.

Sunday afternoon my wife had to work so I came down into the shack to do
QSL cards while I called CQ. VE1ZZ came back to my VERY FIRST CQ which
nearly knocked me off my chair. N1IW spotted us immediately and we got
several contacts in the log with the sun high in the sky. WO1N flashed
a message on my screen saying, "Doing QSL cards, eh?" That started a
third thread. Who says guys can't multitask? Calling CQ, answering QSL
cards, and carrying on a conversation over the packet cluster. Of course
it's not like I had a 200 rate going, more like 20/hour.

As we neared the end of the second night, I was really hoping to get SD
to finish a WAS but that was not to be. Once again 49 states in the log
this year. We did get all but 4 of the Canadian multipliers and one JA.
This was the first time I've ever worked a JA in any 160 contest.

Everyone had a great time here and we're looking forward to the upcoming
ARRL contests. I'll be on for the phone weekend but not a major effort.
Even though I generally like phone, on topband I'm really a CW guy. I'll
try to give out as many points as I can and maybe pick up a few new
countries.

Thanks to everyone who called us. I hope everyone had as much fun in this
contest as we did.

73, Jerry - K0TV