[3830] CQ160 CW DJ1YFK Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 1 15:36:15 PST 2010

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: DJ1YFK
Operator(s): DJ1YFK
Station: DJ1YFK

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: JO42

Total:  QSOs = 1622  State/Prov = 50  Countries = 78  Total Score = 1,200,896

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

What a wonderful weekend! As a total 160m novice I didn't quite know what to
expect from this contest, but I certainly didn't dream about such a result.

The first evening started with a pre-contest JA run and was followed by a great
EU run on 1811kHz. I didn't leave the frequency until about 03z, and when I left
it I had some 600 QSOs and over 50 DXCCs in the log, including a lot of rare and
semi rare ones that called me. A spot so low in the band is worth a lot,
especially for the unassisted operator. I didn't work much US though, and those
I worked were mostly from W0/W5, so I suppose my frequency was not very clear on
the US east coast. Later, after finding a loud W7SE from WY by S&P at around
06z, I decided to look for a clear spot high in the band, and managed to work a
number of west-coast states and multipliers on CQ. Last QSO at 08z.

First night was finished with about 850 QSOs, 68 DXCC and 38 S/P.

I started the second night with a decent run in the JA window and managed to
stay there for most of the evening, moving up to a less crowded spot when the
band opened to US. After an 1h break due to a quickly rising QRN level, I was
back in the game at about 0330z and experienced an even better west coast
opening than the previous night. All W6/7 states except ID were logged, plus
VE5,6,7 (VE6s were strong!) and to my great delight, KL7RA called too. Wow!

With about 5 hours of OP-time to go and 1.1 million points, I went into the
final hours of the contest, but most CQs were unanswered; everyone was in the
log already. With the last QSO of the contest, the score counter jumped over
the 1.2m mark.

Thanks for all the QSOs! This was one of my most enjoyable contest experiences
ever. Special thanks to all the multipliers who called me. Just to mention a
few: 4Z5J, 8P9NX, BA4RF, C6ANM, CX6VM, EX2A, JT1CO, NP4A, ST2AR, UK9AA, XE2WWW,
ZF2BJ. Those were truly great moments and I sometimes sat in my chair and
couldn't believe what was happening.

Most of the contest was recorded. Drop me a line if we had a QSO and you'd like
a MP3 snippet of our QSO. I will also soon post a "best of" on
http://fkurz.net/ham/recordings/

This is a claimed new DL record, but I am really biting my nails to read what
DL1AUZ (current record holder) and DJ0MDR (runner up) managed to do this year.

73, Fabian DJ1YFK