[3830] CQ160 CW W3DQ Multi-Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Feb 2 14:40:32 PST 2010

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W3DQ
Operator(s): W3DQ, K2PS
Station: W3DQ

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Washington, DC

Total:  QSOs = 595  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 25  Total Score = 121,520

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

After being off the air for almost a year, it was time to put the station back
together and see what did or did not work.

Unfortunately for me, my daughter's 18th birthday fell on this contest weekend,
so my operating time was limited (I didn't get started until midnight Friday
night). Luckily, Pete, K2PS, who had recently moved to a no-radio/no-antenna
apartment in the neighborhood, came over to operate while we were out
celebrating. I'm glad he did. What a great operator!

I've always been curious to know how I get out and who hears me, so I ran the
Reverse Beacon skimmer site on a computer upstairs. Very interesting,
especially when compared to spots.  What a great tool! Now I have a notion of
the antenna work needed, although I'm not sure what I can change or add in this
44x140 ft ("an eighth of an acre!") city lot.

It was a fun contest, as it always is. Noisier on Saturday, seemingly slower on
the overnight Saturday. No radio, computer, or other hardware issues or problems
this year. Just a very, very, rusty operator (me).

We missed ID, MT (heard both on Friday night) and SD; LB, NF, NU, NWT and YT
(and KL7)

See you in the Phone 'test and ARRL DX!