[3830] CQ160 CW P49V(AI6V) Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Wed Feb 3 16:03:38 PST 2010

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: P49V
Operator(s): AI6V
Station: P49V

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ARUBA

Total:  QSOs = 324  State/Prov = 46  Countries = 38  Total Score = 268,800

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Here's a soap box story for you:  Checked out the station the day before the
contest and everything was working fine.  I decided to drill a hole in the wall
to bring in the beverage feed line to tidy things up a bit. Just before the
contest was to start, I cranked up the rig to tune the amp and found no
antenna.  The first trip up the tower to check for a bad balun yielded an open
line. Blaming the PL259, down came the feed line to solder on a new fitting.
The line still checked open.  I pulled the coax out of its hole in the wall to
find I had inadvertantly severed it when I drilled into the wall.  Two more
trips up the tower, and a bit of soldering, and by Saturday afternoon, I had
the station ready to run.  Got started early and waited until things started to
happen.  Couldn't believe how crowded the band got and how hard it was to keep a
frequency.  About the third time someone came onto my frequency and wouldn't
leave, I turned off the radio.  I was already too tired to fight.  This was my
first CQ 160 and I hope things go a little smoother next year.  Thanks for the
Qs.  73  Carl