[3830] NA Sprint CW VA7ST LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sat Feb 6 22:11:00 PST 2010

                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 2:13

   80:    8       1
   40:   72       9
   20:   70      25
---------------------

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Team:

Comments:

* FT-2000 and N1MM v10.2.1
* Steppir 3-el. at 27'
* Steppir rotary dipole at 27'
* 80M twin wire verticals, elevated

XE RTTY on 80M appears to be taking a little break while the latest C-class
flare dissipates, so I'll get this writeup done fast, hi.

Had a lot of fun, but Sprinting demands a lot of focus. I wasn't in the right
frame of mind to keep up the pace for much more than two hours. Especially with
40M RTTY sounding like a pile of fun, too.

Decided to do a lazy Sprint with the yagi at its low position of 27', saving a
trip outside. Then decided to go low power, just to see how things compare with
previous low-power outings in '04 and '05.

20M was very good for the first hour, and I could have stayed productive there
even longer. Fearing that 40M would go long by 0100z as it often does these
days, I jumped down there after the first hour. 40M was in great shape through
the second hour. With everyone packed cheek-to-jowl below the RTTY action, it
was prime time for DSP filters. Surprised how loud everyone was.

I moved to 80M at 0200z -- a bit earlier than usual -- as I knew I wasn't going
to be able to keep at the radio for the whole four hours, and wanted to see how
80 was faring with 40 so strong. It wasn't very good -- and still isn't at
0600z in the XE RTTY test.

Stayed in the chair long enough to push past my previous best February CW
Sprint, and did that with low power in less time than last year with the amp
(2:13 vs. 2:30 last year).

Thanks for the experience, fellas. There are a lot of truly brilliant CW
operators out there -- Sprint brings out the best of the bunch, and I just know
the NCCC Thursday night spectaculars (NS Sprints) have honed a lot of skills.
Heck, I even called "NS" a time or two before realizing what I was doing.

73, Bud VA7ST
http://www3.telus.net/va7st

February CW Sprints      Qs    Mults    Score
February-10     SOLP    150     35      5,250
February-09     SOHP<   147     34      4,998
February-08     SOHP<    63     22      1,386
February-05     SOLP    100     32      3,200
February-04     SOLP     66     17      1,122