[3830] MnQP WB8JUI Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 7 09:40:51 PST 2010

                    Minnesota QSO Party

Call: WB8JUI
Operator(s): WB8JUI
Station: WB8JUI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Bellevue, Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): ~7.5

  160:       6        0
   80:      68        8
   40:     125       12
   20:       3        0
  UHF:
-------------------------
Total:     202       20  Mults = 77  Total Score = 32,648

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I awoke Saturday morning psyched and ready for some MNQP action...  We had some
snow and very high winds Friday night and all day Saturday.  I looked out the
front window and saw 6 foot snow drifts in the driveway and portions of the
yard.  AAARRRRGGH, I hate winter!  I went down stairs and fired up the rig
(priorities, right?) to see how it would load up with all the snow.  20 meters
OK, 40 meters OK, 80 meters a bit flakey, but operational.  Let's rock!

I started out on 80.  Lots of mobiles and fast and furious action.  All of a
sudden, antenna problems on 80.  Reducing output to about 5 watts, everything
was OK, but it was difficult to he heard - Julius, you need to teach me the
fine art of QRP operation ;-).  Outside to fight the high wind and blowing snow
to scope out the antenna situation.  The multiband wire vertical was pretty much
tangled up and the 160 meter inverted L on the ground.  Sacrifice the 10, 15,
and 20 meter portions to save 80 and 40.  Back inside.  80 still a problem, QRP
only, 40 OK though...  I thought about throwing in the towel, but then
remembered all those mobiles up in MN braving the elements to provide MNQP
activity.  Onward!

To further add insult to injury, a solar flare in the middle of the contest!

Thanks to the following mobile/rovers for multiple Q's:
K0PC (25), N0IJ (23), NE9U (19), N0PI (19), N0IM (17), W0ZQ (13), N0EO (11),
N0UR (10), K0LD (8), KE0G (4), KC0P (4), NR0T (4), K0SV (2).

There are some great ears in the above group.  Thanks to all who were able to
pull me through on 80 early in the contest (80 meter antenna issue went away
later in the evening) and to N0EO for my lone 20 meter mobile contact.

Thanks once again to the MWA for another great MNQP!  In spite of all the
weather related issues across the midwest and east, it appears a great time was
had by all.  Congrats to N2CU and WB2ABD on great LP scores.

73 - Rick WB8JUI