[3830] XE RTTY W0YK SO2R HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 7 10:20:03 PST 2010

                    Mexico RTTY International Contest

Call: W0YK
Operator(s): W0YK
Station: W0YK

Class: SO2R HP
QTH: CA

   80:   55   134     9
   40:   70   170    15
   20:  212   499    28
   15:  122   279    18
   10:
-------------------------
Total:  459  1082    70  Total Score = 75,740

Club: Loma Prieta Contest Club

Comments:

For me, this was warm-up for CQ WPX RTTY and further Beta-testing on WriteLog.
The FMRE contest module has a couple of annoying "attributes".  First, it
pre-fills the serial number of stations prevously worked, e.g., on another
band.  The pre-fill is fine for the XE QTH, but inappropriate for serial
numbers, of course.  Coupled with a second issue, I had many QLF moments
because clicking in a serial number, when one already existed, over-wrote the
call sign with the new serial number.  That led to a wild scramble of erasing
the Entry fields and starting all over.  So, apologies when I was QLFing and
didn't come back for a few seconds.  A third nit on this contest module is the
inclusion of 160 meters in the Score table.

OTOH, the rather open rules of this contest seem to allow both Packet and
multiple simultaneous signals for the SO2R op (because neither are excluded in
the rules).  Heck, without the single-signal-at-a-time restriction, a single op
could run 3 or more bands at a time if they were open.

There seemed to be a higher number of dupes than usual and I'm not sure what
that was all about, unless people weren't keeping logs.  For a couple hours I
was on 14083 and 21083, so maybe my QRV message confused people.

Bands were very quiet here, even 40 and 80.  Often, too, signals were quite
weak.  I took off for the NA CW Sprint and then slept the night rather than
work this contest.  For some reason, bed was more enticing!

There's been some discussion on the reflector about lack of support by the
sponsors of this contest for log checking, awards and results posting.  It
would be great if these things could be improved by the volunteers, but
meanwhile it is a great practice for CQ WPX RTTY.

Thanks for the QSOs.  Hope to print everyone in CQ WPX RTTY next weekend.

Ed - W0YK