[3830] NA Sprint CW K6LA HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 7 11:29:14 PST 2010

                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: K6LA
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: K6LA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA

---------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Team: SCCC #1

Comments:

I had rotator cuff surgery last Friday and wasn't able to get my left hand to
the keyboard until Thursday. Couldn't reach the paddles at all. Then Saturday
morning Murphy struck. The belt on my motorized tower broke. Hmmmm, one arm, I
don't think I can change it or crank the tower up. But, I was able to get the
covers off the motor and found a too large belt, which was able to get the
tower up when I took up the slack with one handed pressure using a
screwdriver.

Usually, I just die in the last hour on 80 meters, but this time I was able to
make contacts on 80m early and not get beat out too much. Then, Murphy struck
again. Both radios stopped keying. Neither the computer or paddles would work.
PTT would key the radio, but no transmit signal, almost like I was in SSB mode,
but I wasn't. Ten minutes later it mysteriously started working again. Ouch.

73, Ken, K6LA