[3830] RTTY WPX VE7UF M/M HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Feb 16 04:00:13 PST 2010

                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: VE7UF
Operator(s): VA7FC VE7AX VA7RN VE7FO VE7UF
Station: VE7UF

Class: M/M HP
QTH: IOTA NA36

   80:  316  1250
   40:  654  2936
   20:  992  2391
   15:  546  1244
   10:    2     6
-----------------
Total: 2510  7827  Prefixes = 708  Total Score = 5,541,516

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

We were glad to have Perry, VA7FC, join us for the first time.  Perry is a
novice at RTTY, but has used the N1MM software before so he caught on fast.
Conditions were better for 15M, but were not as good on the low bands as they
were during the last CQWW CW.  I noticed the Asia direction woodpecker was
posted on packet early Sunday morning.  It was S4 to S9 across the 40M band
here so we switched to 20M and 15M early.  That cost us many Qs.  We felt
strong to EU on 20M both mornings.  We are happy with the station's performance
except we had more in-shack equipment failures than ever before, 2 Alpha 76
amps, 3 TS850s (related to the amp failures), and one computer glitch so our
station 3(there are only 3) was useless during almost all of the contest.   I
spent most of my contest time repairing the TS850s while Jim, VE7FO, worked on
station 3's computer.  One of the 3 untried heath SB220 amps on loan to the
station that Jim brought with him for the contest came in very handy and worked
fine as a replacement.  There was a major wind and rain storm Saturday
evening-Sunday morning that added noise to all bands.  Considering having to
overcome the ozone sickness and all the other problems we felt we did the best
we could.  We had fun breaking the station RTTY Q record and RTTY points
record.  Most of my equipment is getting old and I think it is about time to
find some newer electron minitulators.  Our thanks go to Paul, VE7BZ, for
loaning us the heath amps and also to all the stations that called us.

73, Duane VE7UF