[3830] RTTY WPX KK9A SOSB/20 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Feb 16 17:32:05 PST 2010

                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: KK9A
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: KK9A

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: North Carolina

   20: 1160  2705
-----------------
Total: 1160  2705  Prefixes = 647  Total Score = 1,750,000

I have never operated RTTY before and this contest seemed like the perfect
introduction into his mode.  Several days prior to this event I installed the
hardware and software needed for RTTY.  I studied AA5AU’s excellent RTTY
website and made a few contacts to test out the equipment during the week.  I
also had to run temporary cables to my tower since I never trenched the cables
underground last summer after installing a new antenna system.  I am very
familiar with the WPX CW and SSB contests, but the rules and strategy for the
RTTY version is different as well as the exchange protocol and I did not know
what to expect prior to the start.  My biggest obstacle was not knowing the
best settings for the radio and software and it took about half of the contest
before I had things working well.  In the beginning, somehow my MTTY settings
were off causing me to call stations slightly off frequency which killed my S&P
rates.   I also did not have the filters set up properly to handle the strong
QRM which slowed down my runs.  When I finally got things running correctly and
got used the RTTY rhythm, AA5AU was already 175 contacts ahead of me. After my
initial struggles I became better at running stations making the second day
more fun and productive.   Amazingly, even with the poor start, I shattered the
US 20m record.  I have wanted to try RTTY contesting for years and I am so glad
that I finally did as it is a fun mode which seems to be gaining popularity.
It was also great to see that the new antenna system is working even though it
is far from complete.

Thanks for the QSOs  -  Please QSL via WD9DZV.

73,
John KK9A / P40A
john at kk9a.com