[3830] ARRLDX CW N1LN SOSB/15 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 21 16:23:47 PST 2010

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: NC

   15: 1227   109
Total: 1227   109  Total Score = 401,229

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I couldn't get a team together to enter in M2 and didn't want to try for a full
single op so with the sun spots coming back I thought a single op 15 meter
entry would be fun.  I was right.

Before the contest started on Friday night 15 was open from NC to Japan, but at
2400 UTC Japan was gone.  I managed a few Qs on Friday night, but shut down
after about 30 minutes.  Saturday morning I was surprised to have the band
already open to Europe when I turned on my station at 1200 UTC. My best 10
minute rate was 327 per hour.  That might be my all time high for CW.  I was on
and off during the day due to family activities, but was back in the chair to
enjoy the JA opening that came at 21:15 UTC.  From NC it quickly ended about
2330 UTC.  Sunday I was back at it at 1200 UTC and, once again Europe was
already strong.  Sunday was another partial op day, but at 2100 the JAs started
to come again.

My score could have been better if I made a serious run for single op, but this
was a fun weekend on the air and also off the air.  It was actually in the low
60s today.  AMAZING. Winter may almost be over.

My top 5 call areas were as follows.

DL at 163 Qs
JA at 127 Qs
UA at 83 Qs
UR @ 53 Qs
G and I tied at 51 Qs each.

I was also very pleased with how my homebrew 5 element 15 meter yagi at 45
meters performed.  When it warms up there will be another one ready to up at 30
meters.

Hope the conditions are equally as good for ARRL-DX-SSB.  We will be entering
in the M2 class.

73 until next time,

Bruce - N1LN