[3830] ARRLDX CW WE9V SOAB(A) HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 21 18:28:28 PST 2010

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: WE9V
Operator(s): WE9V
Station: WE9V

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: WI

   20:  920   101
   15:  672   102
Total: 2137   398  Total Score = 2,536,058

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

My usual SOAB+P effort for this one, except this time I
decided to CQ a lot more.  Usually, I just chase packet
spots 90+% of the time.

And what a difference that made.  I more than doubled
my previous best score, nearly doubled my best QSO total,
and was the most QSOs I've ever made in a DX only contest
from Wisconsin.  It's also the most CQ QSOs I've ever had
in a contest.  Some neat new milestones!  All that and I
still got nearly full nights of sleep both nights.
(Although I'm still exhausted!!)

Had a bonehead mistake of hot switching my homebrew
ten-pack/SO2R box Saturday night.  I was going to leave
it until spring to fix, but decided to take a look at
it during the slow low-band time.  Turns out that I
fried the Polyphaser lightning protector bulkhead.  I
guess it didn't like the QRO power and the brief no-load
condition.  I assume the voltage spiked and it fired
and stayed broken.

Friday night was tough, had a new S9+10dB noise on 80M,
so my line score the first night was 0 x 0.  Did manage
a few 160M Qs though.  Saturday night, 160 was in great
shape, plus my 160M noise was lower than normal.  I did
what catching up I could do on 80M all on the second night.
My 40M line is a little anemic as well.  Don't know why.

I'm sure we'll read it a hundred times, but it sure was
nice to see 15 (and 10) open.  Was great to run a bunch
of JA's on 15M again.  It's been too long.

Chad WE9V
http://www.we9v.com