[3830] ARRLDX CW GW6W(GW0ETF) SOSB/20 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 22 02:22:35 PST 2010

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: GW6W
Operator(s): GW0ETF
Station: GW6W

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: Wales

Total:  805    58  Total Score = 139,896

K3/Acom 1000 to a low doublet (100ft long and 30 ft high, NW by SE).

Key clicks were a significant problem here with the lack of a directional
antenna to keep out some of the spurii from the east. Surely there's no excuse
for clicks these days..?

20m got going quite late on both days; on Saturday the conditions came and went
spasmodically but kept going well into the evening. On Sunday it was steadier
but didn't open to NA until midway through the afternoon local time, and then
signals were at or around the noise level until dark and were a problem under
the blanket of EU signals and clicks. Improved after dark and continued until
around 22.30z. I was worried I would run out of stations to work on Sunday but
they just kept coming! Thanks to all who called.

High point:-
Being called by mults 57 and 58 in consecutive QSOs in my final run late on
Sunday evening (MS and DC) - great buzz.

Low point:-
Being spotted as GW6GW late on Sunday evening and then being deluged by dupes!
Perhaps the spotter was using an outdated SCP and didn't bother reading the
morse; not using the cluster here it took me a while to work out what was going
on but it certainly was disruptive. I confirmed it on DxSummit afterwards and
shows just how much blind calling goes on based on what you see on the
cluster.

Enjoyable contest and the SB/20 meant I didn't lose any sleep *and* I got to
watch the football highlights.....