[3830] ARRLDX CW F5MUX SOAB QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 22 04:02:42 PST 2010

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: F5MUX
Operator(s): F5MUX
Station: F5MUX

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: FRANCE

  160:    9     9
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 1951   205  Total Score = 1,199,865

As usual since the last few years, I should be with the guys at TM6M in M2 or MS
category but a few days before the event, I had to stay home.

Located in brittany since 6 years ago, that sure, this geographic position is
real avantage for this contest. In the top of my hill, just a few miles from
the Atlantic Ocean, there is a real pipeline between western France and north
america.

Outstanding conditions on 15, 20 and 40m. Frequently, signal was 40dB over s9.
Bar graph level is maybe generous on the TS-850, but sure, propagation was
fantastic.
Bests rates, as usual, at the end of the propagation. When stations from
eastern Europe lose the condition with NA, with 5 w you can achieve a beautiful
run. I even left the top of the band to come down in the BIGS GUNS segment,
without too much trouble!

Bigs THANKS to everybody earding my QRP signal, and particularly the many QRP
stations that responded to my CQ, sometimes just with 500 mW (some messages are
already in my mailbox and E-QSL comments)
Many thanks also to all BIGS GUNS with strongs signals, but with very good ears
!
This is the chalenge, like in the words of a good friend, "the power, it makes
deaf", not always ;-)

We often ascribe virtues to high power but with good conditions, 57n or 5NN is
sufficient to make the cotact.

This morning, my family asked me:
Dady, did you do the competition this weekend because there was no noise in the
home cinema speakers ;-)
I also appreciated the temperature in the shack which was below 25 degrees and
the absence of noise.

Just below 2000 QSO after 41 hours and the satisfaction of having exceeded the
previous EU record achieved in 2002.

I dedicate this effort to my daughter Camille, aged 11 years, who is fighting
against a cruel disease.

I am not certain to be available for SSB party, but good luck to all, with the
same propagation like this weekend.

See you soon,

73, 73
Lee
f5mux

www.f5mux.com

SETUP :

Vintage SO2R : 2 x TS-850 (each with 3 CW filters on 8.83 and 455) and rustic
audio mixer MX-400 Behringer.
Antennas : 4el SteppIR @ 18m, 3el 40/30m DXBeam @ 21m, inverted V on 80 & 160m.
No beverage, with 5 w this is important for no frustation ;-)

No CW skimmers or sommething like this, just my pair of ears...