[3830] ARRLDX CW W6XR SOAB(A) HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 22 09:47:19 PST 2010

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W6XR
Operator(s): W6XR
Station: W6XR

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: NY

  160:   40   `30
Total: 1196   339  Total Score = 1,216,332

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

W6XR is:  Ten Tec Orion II & QRO 2500DX using WriteLog.

Antennas: 160 = Inverted L
           80 = Full vave vertical loop & 1/4 wave monopole
           40 = F12, 240N at 89'
           20/15/10 = F12 C31XR @ 97'
           K9AY Pennant array switchable for 160/80/40

The propagation was a superlative!  15 meters was exceptional with JA's
blasting through for hours on both afternoons and evenings.  The opening into
Europe was great and had bottomless runs unfortunately tempered by just bad
operating from southern Eu.  Nothing got through to these stations and their
presence significantly lowered rates.  These stations ignored any plea for
structure and continually called regardless of who you were tying to work. Even
if you needed but one remaining letter in a callsign, these stations just called
and called!  Why?

Another issue are those who insist on appending their calls with /QRP.  I'm
happy you run QRP and I'm sure you understand why I appended my own call with
/QRO.

The 160 opening was very good from Upstate NY with the Inverted L performing
much better than it should.  Unfortunately, my back gave out around 11:00 PM
Friday night and my participation was limited thereafter.  Next year we should
be in a new QTH with enough space to put up the other two towers and 4 squares
for 160/80 meters.  Thanks to all who worked me and I look forward to the next
time.

73

Natan W6XR
Freeville, NY