[3830] ARRLDX CW N4TZ/9 SOSB/40 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 22 15:19:36 PST 2010

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N4TZ/9
Operator(s): N4TZ
Station: N4TZ/9

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs):

   40: 1541    95
Total: 1541    95  Total Score = 439,185

N4TZ visits the Dark Side

Alas, it's true.  I needed to get some on-the-air practice before
WRTC, and didn't have my station set up for my usual all-band low
power effort.  When the time came to set up my 80m antenna system
this past fall (October), I was still recovering from my hand
surgery - my grip was all of two pounds. So, I unrolled the 125
foot long extension cord to the clothes dryer socket and informed
my wife that there would be no laundry this weekend.

It's a whole 'nuther experience using an amplifier on 40 meters!
My signal may still be a few dB down from the big stacks at W8JI
W9RE, and K3LR, but I don't think I embarassed myself too much this
past weekend.  Some low power habits are hard to break, however.
In particular, my "mister nice low power guy" persona got in my
way. At 0200z Saturday night J38XX popped up on my frequency
(7002.19) which I had been on since 2000z (never leaving it for even
one QSO) and insisted it was his frequency and insisted I move,
even when I said I'd been there for six hours. I moved and was
unable to find a clear frequency for over two hours in prime time;
again, my low power habits of playing nicely with my neighbors got
in the way of my score.  I only worked 43 QSOs in the 139 minutes
it took me to find another frequency.  I was in such a funk I even
went to bed before sunrise Sunday.  I got over it Sunday afternoon
and pushed through the finish line, having learned some lessons.

All-in-all, it is a lot easier pushing that old F1/enter button
(or use auto-CQ) than continually tuning. Maybe even 12dB more
fun for this casual entry.

1541 DX QSOs x 95 DX countries = 439,185 points