[3830] ARRLDX CW G4PIQ SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Feb 23 04:14:30 PST 2010

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: G4PIQ
Operator(s): G4PIQ
Station: G4PIQ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: JO02OD

  160:    9     8
   80:    5     5
   15:    4     3
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  348    83  Total Score = 86,652

We moved to a new QTH in December which has some potential (i.e. space and
neighbours a reasonable distance away) for 'proper' radio, but it won't get any
real antennas this year because there is more than enough to do to get the house
in some sort of order. However - I need to get on and remind myself what CW is
before WRTC so I raised my temporary 80/160 Inv-V centre to the grand height of
nearly 14m and added a 40m element as well. There was no tuner on 20 so with an
SWR of >3:1 the RG58 coax was getting pretty warm and the main lobes were
certainly not aimed at the US, but the amp seemed happy enough!

I knew the weekend was pretty much booked out with other stuff to do, but I
managed 30 mins on 160m after I finished working at 0100 local on the Saturday
morning, a tiny handful of QSOs in odd grabbed minutes on the other bands
during the bulk of the contest, and then 3 hours to operate as fresh meat at
the end of the contest. I did about 1.5 hours like this on both 20 & 40 and
once someone spotted me on packet it was great fun with the rate meter hovering
just under 300/hr for good chunks of time and a 160 hour on 40 which seemed
pretty great for such a basic station.

K2/100 + PA, 400W, Inv-V dipoles for 160 / 80 / 40 @ 14m

73,

Andy, G4PIQ