[3830] ARRLDX CW VE3FU M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Wed Feb 24 20:11:38 PST 2010

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VE3FU
Operator(s): VE3FU, VO1AU
Station: VE3FU

Class: M/S HP
QTH:

   20: 1054   105
   15:  535   103
Total: 2335   449  Total Score = 3,145,245

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Tower 1
160m: Inverted-L (72ft vertical)
40m: Vertical Dipole
20/15/10m: Explorer-14 at 72ft

Tower 2
80m: Wire Vertical
40m: Inverted-Vee at 72ft
20/15/10m: TH-6 at 72ft (rotatable), TH-6 at 42ft (fixed on EU)

2x TS-950SD
2x TL-922

We had intended to run a 3 man M/S, but that quickly changed about 6 hours
before the contest started.  On his way here to set things up, Rich VE3KI, was
involved in a car accident.  Everyone was OK, but the same can't be said for
Rich's car.  The silver lining? He got to be home with his wife for their
anniversary!

This was the first time Dave and I had ever entered this contest as M/S.  It
took us a while to get the most out of the 6 band changes, but we eventually
figured it out.  Although there were still times when we had used all of our
band changes in the first 15 minutes of the clock hour :=)  We missed some
multipliers on 10m Sunday afternoon because we were beaming in the wrong
direction and inefficient use of our band changes.

We worked 2 Europeans, a KL7 and a ZL on 10m, but couldn't manage to get
through to TX4T for a 6-bander (we worked 12 in total).  They weren't that
loud, but definitely workable.  We called a number of times, but gave up when
we saw a spot saying they were "20 over in WTX" :=)

It was great to hear life on 15m after so many years of indifferent conditions
on the band.  We were also very impressed at how stable conditions were, with
no disturbances of any kind all weekend.

Thanks to Dave for coming out and doing most of the heavy lifting this weekend.
 I missed about 4.5 hours (1500 - 1930Z) on Saturday and 2 hours (1600 - 1800Z)
on Sunday coaching my kid's hockey teams.  I'm sure Dave would have appreciated
having another operator to give him a hand during those times.

We are very pleased to have beaten the old Canadian M/S record by almost 1Meg,
but the team at VE3UTT did even better, beating it by an additional 400k!
Congratulations to Art VE3UTT and Nick VE3EY.

73,

Chris VE3FU