[3830] CQ160 SSB K5EWJ Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 28 11:09:23 PST 2010

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: K5EWJ
Operator(s): K5EWJ
Station: K5EWJ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Santa Fe, TX

Total:  QSOs = 226  State/Prov = 46  Countries = 7  Total Score = 28,044

Club: Texas DX Society

Comments:

This was my first contest on 160 SSB.  I was surprised at the activity and the
number of contacts I was able to make with low power and a simple inverted L
antenna.  Just before I started the contest I found that my L was not loading
properly.  I pulled the grass around the bottom and that did not help much, so
I decided to go with low power and use the auto tuner in my K3.  That worked
out better than I expected and I had a great time.  I am sure that my score is
not a winner, but I did manage to more than double my lifetime number of 160
SSB QSOs (54 years licensed).  So I am a happy camper.  Noise was reasonable
even though I don't have any receive antennas.  I used my Carolina Windom some
for diversity receive and that helped a surprising amount with some weak
signals.

My friend Chuck, W5PR who is 18.2 miles west of me and has a strong station was
putting in a 50 over S9 signal.  I was able to make a contact 2.5 KHz below his
run frequency and could not tell that he was transmitting if I was not within
+/- 3 KHz of his transmit frequency.  Am I ever impressed with the K3 receiver
and with how clean Chuck's transmitter operates.

I hope everybody enjoyed the contest as much as I did!